Archive for May 2009

[ecrea] Digital Cultures Workshop CFP

Sat May 09 15:24:10 GMT 2009

2nd Digital Cultures Workshop: Social Media Publics?  #digcult09

4-5 June, 2008
University of Salford, U.K.

- Organizers
Ben Light and Marie Griffiths, University of Salford
Sian Lincoln, Liverpool John Moores University
Steve Sawyer, Syracuse University

- Keynote Speakers
Mobile Technology at Work: Stories of Interaction Asymmetry
Carsten Sørensen, Information Systems and Innovation Group, Department of Management, London School of Economics

Prostitution, Prosecution and Positioning: The Curious Case of Craigslist
Theresa Senft - School of Social Sciences, Media and Cultural Studies, University of East London

- About the Workshop
It is clear that the boundaries between the ?public? and the ?private? are becoming increasingly blurred within and amongst sites of home and work. Indeed, in the wake of reality television shows, national identity card schemes, increased social media usage and the like, publicity appears to be the order of the day. In this workshop we discuss the issues raised for those living in environments where there is seemingly little room for privacy (privacy, of course, not necessarily always being a good thing). As was the case last year, we intend for the workshop to be multi-disciplinary in nature, broad in the approaches participants take and issues they cover. If your work is about any aspect of digital culture, this is the workshop for you! The following are thus only indicative of potential topics that could be raised:

How do people domesticate social media in their attempts to maintain a balance in publicity and privacy? Do they? Why do they, or don?t they? What matters are raised by increased access to data about individuals and organizations? What does the blurring of boundaries between public and private mean for our knowledge and experiences of gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity and disability? How are ICT mediated spaces created and maintained at home, work and those spaces in between? For example, how are ?geek gamers? finding spaces to play now the only console in the house can be in the living room? How are ICT policies shaping public and private spaces throughout societies around the world?
What privacy issues are presented by media convergence?
What role are mobile and ubiquitous computing technologies playing in public and private spaces?
How is the increased commodification of social media affecting our privacy?

Following from the first workshop we continue to see this workshop having three purposes. First, we seek to give voice and structure to existing new media, ICT and technology related research which may not readily sit within conventionally accepted areas. Second, we wish to draw in research on new forms of digital technology, ICT, computing, organizing and social interactions. Third, we want to continue discussions regarding potential futures for ICT related research which combine research as related to the evolving forms and functions of work organizations and the changing boundaries and relations between these organizations and their social milieus.

We hope to have a special issue of a journal associated with the workshop as was the case last year (a special issue of the Journal of Information, Communication, Ethics and Society was published early in 2009 ? Vol 7, Issue 1).

Workshop Arrangements
Workshop places are limited and would be grateful if people would register for the workshop by 22 May if possible. If you wish to register after that date, please could you contact Nathalie Audren-Howarth at: (n.audren /at/ salford.ac.uk) <mailto:(n.audren /at/ salford.ac.uk)> in order that we can make sure we have space for you.

The fee for presentation/attendance at the workshop is £75 GBP. This will cover refreshments and meals throughout the workshop and a workshop dinner to be held on the evening of the 4th of June.

There is no fee for PhD students, however they still need to register for the workshop. PhD student registration includes refreshments during the workshop but excludes attendance at the workshop dinner (This is subject to a 25 GBP fee, payable upon registration). If you are a PhD student who wishes to register without attending the workshop dinner, please email Nathalie Audren-Howarth. Free PhD student places are limited.

To see the programme and register ? please go to <http://www.iris.salford.ac.uk>http://www.iris.salford.ac.uk

Ben Light
Professor of Digital Media
Director IS, Organisations and Society Research Centre
Acting Associate Head of School - Research
School of Media, Music and Performance
The University of Salford
Adelphi House
Salford