Archive for April 2008

[ecrea] CALL FOR PAPERS - SUMMER SCHOOL IN MEDIA AND NATIONALISM

Tue Apr 29 06:57:12 GMT 2008

>Please kindly circulate this conference
>information within your department/service.
>

>Summer School in Media and Nationalism
>

>Dear all
>We have received a good response to attend in
>this course or participate in the Seminar of the
>course which takes place next July - there are
>still some places left. If you would like to
>attend or/and participate, please check the
>updated information in the website:
><http://www.uvic.cat/mediaandnationalism>www.uvic.cat/mediaandnationalism
>If you are interested in participating in the
>Seminar with an own doctorate paper, please
>email to Cristina Perales
>((cristina.perales /at/ uvic.cat)) for further information about deadlines.
>Please, forward this message to anyone who might be interested. Thank you.
>

>Call for papers
>

>An international meeting, Vic (Barcelona, Spain), 7 - 11 July 2008
>
><http://www.uvic.cat/mediaandnationalism>www.uvic.cat/mediaandnationalism
>
>We are pleased to invite postgraduate students,
>doctoral students and researchers to participate
>in the Summer School in Media & Nationalism 2008
>in Vic, Barcelona (Spain), which will be held from 7th to 11th July 2008.
>
>The Summer School in Media & Nationalism will
>bring together members of the Catalan, Basque,
>Northern Irish and Scottish research
>communities, and others, around a programme of
>discussions on themes of the media,
>communication, nationalism, politics and conflict.
>
>The Summer School consists of five full days of
>lectures from invited experts, together with a
>series of parallel seminar presentations for
>accepted papers to be held, in principle, on the Tuesday afternoon.
>
>The Summer School will thus be a forum providing
>support for scholars and researchers, through
>discussion and seminar presentation feedback.
>The Summer School aims to provide a supportive
>international setting where doctoral students
>can present their work, receive feedback on
>their Ph.D. projects from international experts,
>and meet students and academics from other countries.
>
>The working language of the Summer School will be English.
>

>Seminars
>

>Each seminar will run for about 3 hours.
>
>Each paper will be introduced by the Chair.
>Participants will give a 15-minute presentation
>on their research. For a further 15 minutes
>another participant will respond to the paper,
>adopting the role of 'opponent', offering
>constructive criticism of the paper and its
>contents. Guest academics and researchers will
>also be called on to take part in these discussions.
>

>Context
>

>Stateless nations play an important role in the
>era of globalisation and can aspire to take part
>in diverse political institutions.
>
>In a European framework that legitimises and
>reinforces the nation state as the main
>political agent in the European Union, regions
>with nationalist claims are seeking to clarify
>their political future, satisfy their
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/