Archive for April 2008

[ecrea] CFP New public management, Foucault and Power

Sun Apr 13 21:30:02 GMT 2008

>From: Frank Boddin <(fboddin /at/ vub.ac.be)>
>To: Nico Carpentier <(nico.carpentier /at/ vub.ac.be)>
>Subject: CFP New public management, Foucault and Power
>Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2008 20:34:57 +0200 (CEST)
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS: New Public Management, Foucault and Power
>
>This is a call for individual papers for the
>session on New public management, Foucault and
>Power of the international "Power: Forms,
>Dynamics and Consequences" conference, that is
>being held in Tampere, Finland (September 22-24,
>2008) (http://www.uta.fi/Power2008/). We are
>looking for individual papers that fit into the
>theme described in the panel abstract below.
>Please send your 400-word paper abstract to
>(frank.boddin /at/ vub.ac.be) before May 31st 2008.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Frank Boddin
>Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Brussels
>
>+++
>
>NEW PUBLIC MANAGEMENT, FOUCAULT AND POWER
>

>In the context of the deregulated, neo-liberal
>environment of the 1980s, new public management
>reforms characterized public sectors in such
>countries as Australia, New Zealand, UK, Canada,
>the United States, but also Germany and Japan.
>New public management (NPM) borrows a range of
>managerial notions from the private sector, such
>as an emphasis on organizational performance or
>responsiveness to consumers. NPM is not a
>unified set of practices, but a kind of logic
>which has various implementation forms and
>variations within diverse public sectors, such
>as health, social service, universities and
>higher education, broadcasting, transport,
>telecommunications and police departments (Hood 1995, Dent et al. 2004).
>This session aims to bring together scholars
>that have mobilized poststructuralist ideas and
>Foucaultian theory as conceptual tools to
>understand the dynamics of power underlying new
>public management reforms. The session
>concentrates on how the logic of new public
>management (re)configures power relations within
>public organizations and this at diverse levels.
>
>Scholars have scrutinized NPM from a variety of
>angles (see, e.g., Dent et al. 2004, Chandler &
>Barry 2004). From an organizational point of
>view, it has been shown that discipline is an
>important dimension underlying NPM. NPM
>introduces standardized, depersonalized
>practices, such as pre-set, evidence-based
>output measures, assessment programs, standard
>budgeting and reporting, which themselves find
>their origins in a longer tradition of
>scientific management. These regulatory,
>supervisory and controlling mechanisms aim at
>the normalisation of the conduct of the public
>service employee on the one hand, and the
>organizational process as a whole on the other
>(Pollitt 1990, Ranada 1997, Batley & Larbi
>2004). However, it has also been argued that
>discipline is not the main mechanism underlying
>NPM. The NPM-logic introduces and operates
>through mechanisms of self-entrepreneurship and
>decentralized responsibility. NPM promotes
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/