Archive for April 2008

[ecrea] Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship

Thu Apr 10 18:14:33 GMT 2008

>Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship
>
>Friday 31st October - Sunday 2nd November 2008
>Salzburg, Austria
>
>Call for Papers
>With this inter- and multi-disciplinary project we
>seek to explore the new developments and changes
>of the idea of pluralism and their implications
>for social and political processes of inclusion
>and citizenship in contemporary societies. The
>project will also assess the larger context of
>major world transformations, such as new forms of
>migration and the massive movements of people
>across the globe, as well as the impact of the
>multiple dynamics of globalisation on rootedness
>and membership (including their tensions and
>conflicts) and on a general sense of social
>acceptance and recognition. Looking to encourage
>innovative trans-disciplinary dialogues, we warmly
>welcome papers from all disciplines, professions
>and vocations which struggle to understand
>what it means for people, the world over, to be
>citizens in rapidly changing national, social and
>political landscapes.
>
>In particular papers, workshops and presentations
>are invited on any of the following themes:
>
>1. Challenging Old Concepts of Citizen and Alien
>* Who is a citizen and who is an alien, a foreigner?
>* The new value of political pluralism and
>cultural multiplicity; breaking with homogeneity
>and sameness
>* What is the place of difference and alterity in
>defining membership and citizenship?
>* How to account for political membership and
>identity?
>* Making sense of transformations and their
>effects over citizenship identity and membership
>* Othering, marginalising, excluding, stygmatising
>
>2. Nations, Fluid Boundaries and Citizenship
>* What does it mean, today, to belong to a nation?
>* New migrants, new migratory flows and massive
>movements from peripheral to central countries
>* Resurgence of the local and the diminishing
>importance of the national
>* Are we living post-national realities?
>* What is the place of economic and cultural
>claims in today's forms of political membership?
>* Assimilation, integration, adaptation and other
>forms of placing the responsibility of change on
>migrants
>
>3. Institutions, Organizations and Social Movements
>* Evaluating the promises and institutions of
>post-national governing
>* What happened to the rights of migrants and
>displaced peoples?
>* Political battles over globalization and the
>forging of global citizenship
>* Social movements, new rebellion and alternative
>global politics
>* Trans-national connections that escape
>institutional and political control
>* New forms of global exclusion
>
>4. Persons, Personhood and the Inter-Personal
>* De-nationalising citizenship and the making of a
>global citizen
>* Tensions, contradictions and conflicts of
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
&
Facultés Universitaires Saint-Louis
Boulevard du Jardin Botanique 43  - B-1000 Brussel - Belgium
----------------------------
NEW BOOKS OUT
Understanding Alternative Media
by Olga Bailey, Bart Cammaerts, Nico Carpentier
(December 2007)
http://mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0335222102.html
Participation and Media Production. Critical Reflections on Content Creation.
Edited by Nico Carpentier and Benjamin De Cleen
(January 2008)
<http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm>http://www.c-s-p.org/Flyers/Participation-and-Media-Production--Critical-Reflections-on-Content-Creation1-84718-453-7.htm

ECREA's Second European Communication Conference
Barcelona, 25-28 November 2008
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/