[eccr] Digital Media and Digital Culture Seminar Series

Fri Oct 08 13:10:29 GMT 2004

>Digital Media and Digital Culture Seminar Series
>Centre for Media Research, University of Ulster
>Coleraine Campus, Northern Ireland
>

>Tuesday 12 October, 2004
>4.30-5.30pm, Venue: C102
>
>Dr. Daniel Jewesbury <(d.jewesbury /at/ ulster.ac.uk)>
>Centre for Media Research, University of Ulster
>
>Abstract
>
>"The Affects of Reality: Dialectical Aesthetics and Digital Media"
>
>(i)
>Question: Can art make a fairer, more just society?
>The question, often voiced, betrays an angst on the part of the
>questioner: why *doesn't* art appear to have the capacity to bring about
>real social transformation? What should I, as an artist, be doing to
>address this? *How can I make myself feel less guilty about my art?*
>
>Talk about "the social role of art" is necessarily positioned somewhere
>between two poles: one dictating that art must be capable of effecting
>direct social change or have clear social use, the other arguing that it
>must "transcend" the merely material. Neither position is viable. If one
>cannot justify art *in its own terms*, one falls back on instrumentalisms
>(couched in terms of dimly-defined "communities" or "publics") in order to
>find a worth presumed not to be immanent in the work itself.
>Instrumentalised approaches to art lead to patronising, paternalistic
>assumptions about its "benevolence", and produce an "art" devoid of any
>aesthetic merit whatsoever (however that is accounted for).
>
>(ii)
>This paper gives an account of the "dialectical aesthetic", through which
>it argues a case for art as a *non-instrumental* "good". Appropriating the
>late work of Gyargy Luk!cs (only available, in English, through secondary
>sources), and combining it with other more recent contributions, I
>theorise an *ethical aesthetic*, in which form, content and context
>inflect and inform one another, a critical realism beyond mere naturalism,
>with which to *re-envisage* (rather than merely represent) the world, and
>through which to develop "consciousness" of the contradictory conditions
>of that world.
>
>The paper then asks whether the theorisation of a distinctive "digital
>aesthetics" is desirable, or even tenable. By introducing certain formal
>characteristics and social contexts of digital media (hypertext and
>hyperlinks, globalisation, and so on) into the dialectical aesthetic, it
>is demonstrated that the "new" media can never be adequately theorised in
>"novel" technology-centered conceptualisations.
>

>Bio
>
>Dr Daniel Jewesbury is an artist and writer based in Belfast, and a
>Research Associate in Digital Cultures at the Centre for Media Research,
>University of Ulster. He completed his PhD at the Media Studies department
>of the University of Ulster in 2001, writing on potential theoretical
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info