[eccr] Mysterious Bodies: Investigating the Corporeal in Television Drama

Tue Sep 21 14:50:25 GMT 2004

>Mysterious Bodies: Investigating the Corporeal in Television Drama
>Edited by Rayna Denison and Mark Jancovich
>
>Horror has often been seen as incompatible with television given the
>supposed conflict between the dangerous, fantastic and trangressive nature
>of the genre and the safe, routine and domestic features of television
>programming. However, recently horror has become a major feature of
>television programming and there has been an expansion of programs
>dealing with graphic representations of the body. Increasingly American
>program makers, for example, have pushed the limits of acceptability in
>terms of violent and sexual material. As a result, the collection will
>look at a range of different types of television material in which the
>body becomes the focus of graphic visual scrutiny as an object of
>investigation and administration. The collection will therefore look at a
>range of program from horror and science fiction through medical
>dramas and those featuring forensic detection, to program dealing with
>sex and/or the sex industry. However, these concerns should not be simply
>seen as contemporary developments and indeed horror programming has been
>a feature of television since the early days, with key shows such as The
>Quatermas Experiment, The Outer Limits, Doomwatch, Dr Who, etc. As a
>result, the collection will seek to explore the reasons for contemporary
>developments while also investigating the historical processes that
>prefigure it, and its various institutional and cultural contexts.
>

>Topics covered might include:
>
>* An analysis of the institutional conditions which relate to these
>changing representations of the body, particularly the impact of cable
>and satellite networks and regimes of censorship.
>
>* Generic studies of the body on television, such as the examination of
>the body in horror, science fiction, medical and crime dramas, etc.
>
>* Identity and the body. Obviously the mysterious bodies raise issues
>about sex, gender, sexual orientation and race both in relation to
>the subject and object of investigation, but they may also provoke
>questions about our relationship to and understanding of bodies.
>
>* The problematic body of the hero. In many dramas, the mysterious body is
>not simply other but often that of the main protagonist. Many heroes are
>engaged in quest to make sense of their bodies and the destiny that it
>determines for them and this can be seen in a range of shows, perhaps most
>noticeably in Buffy and Smallville but also in dramas such as Nip/Tuck.
>
>* Consuming the televisual body: fans, critics and other audiences. While
>institutional and textual analysis has much to tell us about these bodies,
>their representation also provokes powerful responses. While many are the
>focus of intensive fan cultures, which merit detailed investigation, they
>have also been the object of intense criticism and condemnation. What are
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info