[eccr] supervising and examining practice-based phds in the moving image

Mon Sep 13 19:19:36 GMT 2004

>         SUPERVISING AND EXAMINING
>         PRACTICE-BASED PhDs IN THE MOVING IMAGE
>
>         ONE DAY SYMPOSIUM
>
>         Friday 1st October 2004
>         Boardroom, University of Westminster, 309 Regent Street, London W1
>
>         Organisers:
>         Tony Dowmunt, AHRB Fellow in Creative and Performing Arts,
> Goldsmiths College, University of London
>         Rosie Thomas, Reader and Director of Centre for Research and
> Education in Art and Media (CREAM), University of Westminster
>         Financially supported by the Art, Design & Communication ­
> Leearning & Teaching Support Network, now part of the Higher Education Academy

>------------------------------
>
>         PROGRAMME
>
>         Increasing numbers of students are enrolling for PhDs in the
> moving image field and submitting practice-based outcomes of their
> research for examination.   However, discussions with colleagues around
> the country suggest that departments are working with a number of
> different models of the relation between theory and practice, and with
> somewhat differing expectations about what is submissible.
>
>         This symposium will offer a forum in which academic staff can
> share information and debate ideas about supervising and examining PhDs
> in the moving image practice area.
>         The day is aimed at academic staff already involved in teaching
> and examining PhDs or interested in moving into this field.  Whilst
> members of academic staff who are themselves doing PhDs are welcome, in
> the interests of focussed discussion this symposium is not open to
> full-time PhD students.  We hope that a later symposium will be organised
> to address the issues from the studentsâ¬" point of view.
>
>         10.00am                      Coffee and Registration
>
>         10.30am                      Perspectives
>         The opening panel will discuss supervising and examining
> practice-based PhDs from three perspectives: fine art, visual
> anthropology and the film and television industry.  Speakers are
> Professor John Ellis, Head of Media Arts, Royal Holloway, University of
> London, Professor Malcolm Le Grice, formerly Head of Research at St
> Martinâ¬"s School of Art, London Institute, and Dr Stephen Nugent, Reader
> in Anthropology, Goldsmiths College.  Chair: Rosie Thomas, University of
> Westminster
>
>         12.00pm                      Coffee Break
>
>         12.15pm                      PhDs in Practice: Presentations
>         Four examples of ongoing or completed PhDs in moving image practice.
>         Electra Bada has just submitted an ethnographic film on Greek
> Roma as part of a PhD with the Anthropology Department, Napier University.
>         Amy Hardie (Head of Research at the Scottish Documentary
> Institute, Edinburgh College of Art) is currently working on 'A
> Beginner's Guide to Dying' as part of a PhD by creative practice in
> documentary film-making.
>         Cahal Mclaughlin (Royal Holloway, University of London) is
> working on the recording of audio visual testimonies from recent Anglo
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info