[eccr] Conference Foucault, Paris, January 2005, Call for papers

Sun Jun 20 15:59:17 GMT 2004

>In the context of a conference organised by the A.F.S.P. (Association
>Française de Science Politique ­ French Political Science Association), the
>C.I.R. (Centre Interdisciplinaire de Recherche comparative en sciences
>sociales ­ Interdisciplinary Centre for Comparative Research in the Social
>Sciences) and the University of Paris IX ­ Dauphine,
>

>Pascale LABORIER (C.U.R.A.P.P.),
>Pierre LASCOUMES (C.E.V.I.P.O.F.),
>Jean LECA (Président de l¹A.F.S.P.),
>Sylvain MEYET (Sciences po, C.E.V.I.P.O.F.),
>Marie-Cécile NAVES (C.I.R., CREDEP) et
>Thomas RIBEMONT (C.I.R., CREDEP)
>

>Call for Papers
>
>On the theme:
>
>Politics in the Wake of Foucault
>
>What is the usefulness of Michel Foucault¹s tools to analyse politics?
>

>Twenty years after Michel Foucault¹s death, his work, both in France and
>abroad, continues to inspire research on politics. Political scientists
>engaged in disciplines such as political theory, comparative political
>science, international relations and political sociology ­ especially around
>the notion of governmentality ­ have all elaborated analyses that owe much
>to Foucault. Other social sciences like sociology, anthropology, and history
>have made use of his work to shape their visions of politics.
>Trans-disciplinary fields of study ­ such as gender studies or reflections
>on the body ­ have also been impacted by the work of Foucault.
>Concurrently, and occasionally in relation with academic usages of Foucault,
>social activists have drawn inspiration from his life and work, which has
>furnished them with reference points and political strategies as praxis for
>action and reflection. These activist appropriations of Foucault are
>diverse, ranging from anti-capitalist critiques to other forms of social
>reformism, and encompassing a broad spectrum of perspectives, from the
>direct or implied affiliation with Foucault¹s intellectual lineage, to the
>critical, reactionary or hybrid.
>
>     This conference does not aspire to present or re-present the spectrum of
>existing or potential usages of Foucault. We do not endeavour to propose a
>full comprehension of the destiny of Foucault¹s work nor its legacy.
>However, it being fifty years since the first, and twenty years since the
>last analysis performed by Michel Foucault, we feel it pertinent to examine
>the nature and scope of the collusion of his work with the present day.
>
>As academics, what have we learned from the work of Foucault? What have been
>the directions in which the RFoucaultian¹ approach has evolved? What are the
>debates on which the legacy of Foucault has weighed, and what are the
>questions to which it has given rise ? Has the work of Foucault opened up
>new perspectives or new fields of investigation? How is it situated within
>various disciplines? How can we use the work of Foucault today?
>
>As activists, what have Foucault-inspired groups accomplished? In what ways
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info