[eccr] New Zealand Studies Association conference 2004

Sun May 02 17:54:20 GMT 2004

>Imagining New Zealand/Aotearoa:
>Histories and Representations
>
>The eleventh annual day conference of the
>New Zealand Studies Association
>

>To be held in the Penthouse, New Zealand House, Haymarket, London SWY
>4TQ
>Saturday 3 July 2004 10.00am to 6.00pm (registration 9.30am)
>

>To be opened by Suzanne Blumhardt, Deputy High Commissioner for New
>Zealand to the United Kingdom
>

>Speakers:
>
>Claudia Bell (University of Auckland) Globalisation and National
>Indentity in New Zealand
>
>Hilary Bracefield (University of Ulster) The Journey of Gillian
>Whitehead: Untangling Musical Heritages
>
>Danny Butt (Unitec) A Brasher New Zealand: The Horrors of History
>
>Alex Calder (University of Auckland) Nature and Belonging: The
>Question of Pakeha Turangawaewae
>
>Jan Cronin (University of Leeds) "Encircling Tubes of Being": New
>Zealand as Hypothetical Site in Janet Frames A State of Siege
>(1966)
>
>Sarah Davy (Wiltshire) From A to Bee: New Zealand's Forgotten Food
>Writer
>
>Klaus Dodds and Kathryn Yusoff (Royal Holloway, University of
>London) Settlement and Unsettlement in Aotearoa/ New Zealand
>and Antarctica
>
>Ilana Gershon (Yale University) Representing the Bicultural Nation:
>Maori Sovereigns and New Zealand Sovereignties
>
>John Lyall (Unitec) Representations of the Sublime in New Zealand:
>Early Landscape Painting
>
>Anne Maxwell (University of Melbourne) The Cultural Politics of
>Landscape Representation in Katherine Mansfield's The Urewera
>Notebook
>
>Brian McDonnell (Massey University) "Heads its Warriors and Tails
>its Whales": Flipping the Coin on Maori Film Representations
>
>Alan Phillipson (Exeter) "The New New Poetry: Anthologists, Critics
>and the Rhetoric of Exclusion
>
>Leslie Roberts (University of Canterbury) The Antarcticans:
>Antarctican Culture in New Zealand
>
>Sarah Shieff (University of Waikato) The Bone People: Myths of
>Belonging
>
>Rochelle Simmons (University of Otago) The Suburb in New Zealand
>Film
>

>And special guests to be confirmed
>
>Art display by Kathy Shaw
>

>The New Zealand Studies Association. We gratefully acknowledge
>support from Kakapo Books
>

>Fees: £18 (in advance), £20 (on the day), £15 (students) to include
>wine, and morning and afternoon tea. £5 reduction for members.
>Registration and payment can occur on the day, but as spaces are
>limited booking in advance is advised. Cheques made payable to 'The
>New Zealand Studies Association' should be sent to Roy Smith (address
>below), enclosing a S.A.E. Membership enquiries to Janet Wilson
>(address below).
>

>Conference enquiries to Ian Conrich, University of Surrey Roehampton,
>School of Humanities and Cultural Studies, Roehampton Lane, London
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info