[eccr] IAMCR Media Religion and Culture Working Group

Mon Mar 08 13:15:03 GMT 2004

>This is a
>second call and there are a few places for exceptional papers.  Abstracts must
>be submitted to Johannes Ehrat by the 15th March at the latest.

+++

The Media, Religion and Culture Working Group
(a.k.a. Grupo de trabalho Mídia, religião e cultura)
invites proposals for papers
to be presented at the IAMCR Conference

Comunicação e Democracia
Perspectivas para um novo Mundo

in Porto Alegre 25-30th of July 2004.

Religion, Power Relations, and the Media

could specify the Conference theme to our field of interest. Not only is it
a very wide area, but there is undoubtedly a context of actuality, which
solicits scholarly interest. Many and different religious groups are either
motor or victim (or both) of renegotiations of power relations in many
societies, use the media to their ideological advantage, or have to undergo
harassment, or even defy pubic opinion in the vest of 'fundamentalists' or
terrorists.

This working group invites proposals for papers dealing with the
complexities of religious agencies in the magnet field of media and power;
it has many thinkable, interesting constellations, and there are a number
of different scientific approaches to this interrelation, theoretical,
semiotic, empirical (or a combination).

All approaches are welcome for proposed papers, provided they offer good
quality and interesting, novel perspectives in their respective
methodological nature.

Over and above scholarly concerns in the context of the Conference theme,
this working group continues to be interested in quality papers treating
media in central religious communication processes, from community building
to proclamation, art to expression of faith, apologetic and propagandistic
media usage and reception.

Send your 500 words abstract by 14. February 2004 to
<mailto:ehrat%20at%20unigre.it>ehrat @ unigre.it and an identical copy to
<mailto:(iamcr-ctp /at/ encip.org)>(iamcr-ctp /at/ encip.org) . Presenters will be
advised by 12. April 2004 of the acceptance of their paper proposals. The
full text of accepted papers must be submitted no later than 13. July 2004.

Convenor:

Johannes Ehrat S.J., PhD
Adj. Prof. communication sciences, film theory & semiotic

Pontificia Universitas Gregoriana
Piazza della Pilotta 4
I-00187 Roma

<mailto:ehrat @ unigre.it>ehrat @ unigre.it

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)