Archive for March 2004

[eccr] New from WACC: Media Development issue on Indy Media

Thu Mar 18 20:26:20 GMT 2004

>Indymedia and the new net news
>by Graham Meikle.
>First published in Media Development 4/2003
>Bit 1 Scores of farm workers on hunger strike in the US. A campaigner for
>affordable housing abducted in Cape Town. Tens of thousands of anti-war
>demonstrators marching in Istanbul. None of those stories made my daily
>paper  instead, I read them all this morning on the global Indymedia
>network . Developments in communication technologies have often enabled
>new approaches to the production, distribution and reception of news. In
>this article, using Careys analysis of the impacts of the telegraph
>(1989) and Burnett and Marshalls discussion of informational news
>(2003) as starting points, I want to offer some examples from the brief
>history of the Indymedia movement to show how the Net is making possible a
>significant shift in who gets to make the news.
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=238
>
>The Independent Media Centre ­ South Africa
>by Prishani Naidoo.
>First published in Media Development 4/2003.
>With apartheid gaining much attention internationally, the national
>liberation movement and the African National Congress (ANC), in
>particular, came to be seen as the voice and representative of the
>majority of South Africans, Black and poor. In 1994, the ANC was elected
>into a Government of National Unity, and assumed the seats of governance
>in South Africa. It had come to power on the promise of the Reconstruction
>and Development Programme (RDP), a broadly redistributive programme
>developed through a policy of broad consultation amongst organs of civil
>society. In 1996, however, it adopted a neoliberal economic policy
>framework in the form of the Growth, Employment and Redistribution
>Strategy (GEAR), which was to signal the beginning of a series of attacks
>on the lives of the poor.
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=242
>
>Is this what media democracy looks like?
>by Aliza Dichter.
>First published in Media Development 4/2003.
>When activists and independent journalists created a Website to challenge
>the media, could it become a model of the democratic media they were
>calling for? Aliza Dichter, one of the original founders and the former
>editor of MediaChannel.org, shares her reflections.
>http://www.wacc.org.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=241
>
>Indymedia: Building an international activist internet network
>by DeeDee Halleck.
>First published in Media Development4/2003.
>In a space of less than three years, a grass roots media network has
>sprung up that has connected literally tens of thousands of media makers,
>created web sites visited by millions, projected videos in hundreds of
>venues, published newspapers in print runs of tens of thousands and
>transmitted web and micro radio programmes that have found avid and loyal
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info