[eccr] ECPR Electronic Bulletin - NOVEMBER 2002

Sat Nov 09 10:48:17 GMT 2002

>The Second Tampere Conference on Narrative,
>"NARRATIVE, IDEOLOGY, AND MYTH",
>June 26-28, 2003, Tampere.
>
>Guest speakers: Lisa Jane Disch (Minnesota,)
>Mark Freeman (Holy Cross, Worcester)
>Liz Stanley (Manchester)
>
>Papers might address the following themes (although the list is not
>exhaustive):
>- Narrative and social action
>- Narrative and myth
>- The persuasiveness of narrative
>- Narrative, self and identity
>- Narrative and memory politics
>- Artistic, political and professional uses of narrative
>- The significance of narrative for nation-building
>- Narrating trauma - narration as witnessing
>- Mythical and ideological bodies
>- The emancipatory function of narrative
>- Dangerous narratives - the (mis)use of myths
>- The social, cultural and political circulation of narratives
>- Narratives of belonging and dispossession
>- Narratives as a new way of theorizing in social and political theory
>
>To apply, please send a 300-350 word abstract (as a message, not as an
>attached file) to: (Tarja.Aaltonen /at/ uta.fi) and  (Matti.Hyvarinen /at/ vip.fi).
>Deadline for applications (papers and panels): March 1, 2003.
>Conference fee: ⬠120/60 (lower for research students). The conference
>web site http://www.uta.fi/conference/narrative will be open in October
>2002. The conference venue is Tampere Hall, right in the city center of
>Tampere. Two pre-conference doctoral courses will be organized. Further
>information will be found from our web site.
>
>Organizers:
>- University of Tampere, Research Institute for Social Sciences &
>Department of Sociology and Social Psychology, Department of Women
>Studies.
>- Finnish Network of Narrative Studies
>- Politics and the Arts Group (Standing Group of the European Consortium
>for Political Research)

Carpentier Nico
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.04
Pleinlaan 2 - B-1050 Brussels
W1: http://www.vub.ac.be/SCOM/smit