[eccr] RAISING OUR EYES

Thu Sep 12 16:59:22 GMT 2002

Few voices carry through the media torrent of this first 9/11 anniversary.
In this special edition, www.openDemocracy.net offers some that do:

Paul Gilroy, Scilla Elworthy, Tom Nairn, Omar al-Qattan, Pervez Hoodboy,
Susie Orbach, Paul Hirst, Buthaina Shaheen, Stephen Howe, Michael Naumann,
Steven Lukes, and our security correspondent Paul Rogers.

pieces, in their different ways, provide us with something to build on.
Helping us stay connected to the feelings of vulnerability and common
humanity which marked many first reactions to 9/11, they also look to where
we go from here.

This is a moment for new thinking - and for expanding our horizons.
openDemocracy encourages a deep engagement with the issues confronting us,
from the role and nature of America, to the ubiquitous divisions between
'us' and 'them'.

PAUL GILROY - Professor of Sociology and African American Studies at Yale
University
Raise Your Eyes
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1798

SCILLA ELWORTHY - Director of the Oxford Research Group
The Road Not Taken
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1799

TOM NAIRN - Professor of globalisation at The Globalisation Research
Institute, Melbourne, Australia.
Just Another Country
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1793

OMAR AL-QATTAN - Palestinian-British film-maker
Whose Frankenstein?
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1800

PERVEZ HOODBHOY - Professor of physics at Quaid-e-Azam University,
Islamabad.
Were we Hijacked on 9/11?
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1796

SUSIE ORBACH, Co-founder of Antidote, the British-based Campaign for
Emotional Literacy
Staying Vulnerable
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1792

PAUL HIRST - Professor of Social Relations at Birkbeck College, London
University
No Elixirs to Hand
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1797

BUTHAINA SHAHEEN - Palestinian student
One Day in Jaramana
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=127&DocID=1790

STEPHEN HOWE - Tutor in Politics, Ruskin College, Oxford University
The Torrent & the Cant
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1795

STEVEN LUKES - Professor of Politics and Sociology at the London School of
Economics, and New York University.
The New Supermen
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=98&DocID=1794

PAUL ROGERS, Professor of Peace Studies, Bradford University,
openDemocracy's International Security Correspondent
An American Century
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=103&DocID=1791

WHERE DID WE GO FROM THERE? THE 9/11 ARCHIVE
ROSEMARY BECHLER and DOMINIC HILTON revisit openDemocracy's After 9/11
archive, and select some of the best
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=96&DocID=1811

MICHAEL NAUMANN
The second week of his brilliant daily diary. Print out the first week in
full.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=6&DocID=1809

WORLD DIARY
>>From Barbara Bush's mouth, to the origin of life - the Diary spans a billion
years of evolution.
http://www.opendemocracy.net/forum/document_details.asp?CatID=87&DocID=1801

-------------------------------------

PLEASE SEND US YOUR FEEDBACK AND SUPPORT
openDemocracy is independent - we need your support to keep it that way.
Send a cheque for 25 euros, £20 or $40 (or whatever you can afford) to the
mailing address below or pay online at
www.opendemocracy.net/dynamics/donation.asp

If you want to respond to anything on the site, do write to
(debate /at/ opendemocracy.net)

Subscribe a friend: (subscribe /at/ opendemocracy.net)

openDemocracy
2nd Floor
23-25 Great Sutton Street
London EC1V 0DN