Archive for November 2002

[eccr] Fwd: New Signs of the Times discussion papers and events

Mon Nov 04 08:56:17 GMT 2002

>The following new papers have been put up on the Signs of the Times
>web-site, http://www.signsofthetimes.org.uk
>
>----
>Globalisation as geometries of power
>by Doreen Massey
>
>The author of 'Space, Place and Gender' considers the potential for an
>anti-corporate movement which is as global as the forces that it opposes.
>-----
>Moving the Trade Debate Forward
>by Peter Hardstaff
>
>Peter Hardstaff of the World Development Movement suggests ways of
>rethinking the debates about international development.
>-----
>The European Social Forum: Reflections on the English Mobilisation
>by Lina Jamoul
>
>What are the problems with and potential of the English mobilisation for the
>ESF? Lina Jamoul weighs up the issues.
>----
>
>Our next seminar is on MONDAY NOVEMBER 25th:
>
>BORDERLINE EUROPE: THE POLITICS OF THE NEW MIGRATION
>
>Goods and money can move easily in free markets, but not people.
>Would-be migrants face terrible hardship as they travel from country to
>country, and often a hostile reception by citizens of their destination
>country. Why do people migrate? What is the impact on the countries
>they leave? Who benefits from migration?
>
>Speakers opening the seminar will be:
>
>DON FLYNN, co-ordinator of the Immigration Rights Project
>JEREMY SEABROOK author of The No-Nonsense Guide to Class, Caste &
>Hierarchies
>
>The Union Tavern, 52 Lloyd Baker Street, London WC1 at 7.30pm. 10 minutes
>walk from Kings Cross. Free (suggested donation of £2 if waged). No need to
>book in advance, although please check before bringing a large party.
>For more information email (info /at/ signsofthetimes.org.uk)
>-----
>Signs of the Times is an independent, self-funded collective. We exist to
>provide a space for the free exchange and circulation of ideas on the left,
>free from sectarian loyalties or ideological dogma. For more information and
>resources see http://www.signsofthetimes.org.uk

Carpentier Nico
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.04
Pleinlaan 2 - B-1050 Brussels
W1: http://www.vub.ac.be/SCOM/smit