Archive for March 2002

[eccr] U.S. Calls for Global Access to Information Technology

Fri Mar 22 12:00:53 GMT 2002

Title: U.S. Calls for Global Access to Information Technology

U.S. Calls for Global Access to Information Technology

Urges education, private-sector leadership in high-tech

Date: March 21, 2002

Access to information and communication technologies (ICTs) is crucial to achieving sustainable growth in developing countries, says the head of the U.S. delegation to the Third World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC) in Istanbul.

Despite the rapid growth of new technologies across the globe, "the gap between the developed and the developing world persists," U.S. delegation chief David Gross said March 21.

"We have much more work left to do if we are to realize the full promise of ICT," Gross said. "And the broader development challenges the world faces lend even greater urgency to our efforts here in Istanbul."

The March 18-27 conference was organized by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a Geneva-based organization within the United Nations system in which governments and the private sector can coordinate global telecom networks and services.

In his remarks Gross said there is "widespread agreement" on the importance of improving ICT access in poor countries. He said conference participants should work to help countries build human capacity through training and education; ensure the participation of local communities; promote private sector leadership and regulate only when necessary; and establish systems based on predictable and transparent rules, and especially good governance.

Organizers of the conference expected 1,500 top-ranking delegates from government, the private sector, and international and regional organizations to attend, according to the ITU.

Note: In the text "billion" means 1,000 million.

Text:

March 21, 2002

David A. Gross Head of U.S. Delegation Remarks at Third World Telecommunications Development Conference, March 18-27, 2002
Istanbul, Turkey

Mr. Chairman, Excellencies, dear colleagues, Ladies and Gentlemen, on behalf of the Delegation of the United States of America I would like to congratulate Mr. Yurdal on his selection as chair of this conference. I am pleased to be serving as Vice-Chair of this conference and thank the delegates for this honor. Mr. Chairman, we are confident that under your leadership, this conference will adopt a forward looking and constructive development strategy for the ITU membership.

Mr. Chairman, I would also like to thank our host, the Government of Turkey for its warm hospitality in the beautiful and historic city of Istanbul.

In addition, I would like to thank Secretary General Utsumi and Director Toure for organizing this conference.

We are meeting at a pivotal time:

Our work in Istanbul comes at a time of unprecedented global focus on development issues. While advances of democracy and free markets have brought prosperity to billions of people, too many people are being left behind. This very week about 50 heads of state are meeting in Monterrey, Mexico, to discuss how to close this gap.

The WTDC is an important part of this effort, building on a growing global consensus that information-based technologies are fundamental to meeting basic development objectives. ICT offers enormous opportunities to promote economic growth and to support sustainable local wealth creation: investment in ICT can provide new and more efficient methods of production, bring previously unattainable markets within the reach of local producers, improve the delivery of government services, and increase access to basic services -- especially education.

Access to this important tool has been increasing rapidly across the globe. Over the past 10 years, total telephone penetration rates have nearly doubled. The Internet has become part of all of our lives. As one speaker said earlier in the conference, we are now living in a "global online community."

The future offers even greater promise. Internet use is expected to surpass voice traffic and may exceed it eight-fold by 2006. The range and quality of services is increasing rapidly.

Let there be no mistake: this progress is no excuse for complacency. Much more needs to be done. The gap between the developed and the developing world persists. We have much more work left to do if we are to realize the full promise of ICT. And the broader development challenges the world faces lend even greater urgency to our efforts here in Istanbul.

Fortunately, we know what needs to be accomplished. Recent history has taught us important lessons. I believe that, as never before, there is widespread agreement about what we need to do to realize fully the potential benefits of information technology. Together, we must:

-- Build human capacity through training, education, and knowledge creation initiatives. -- Ensure the participation of local communities and the development of local content. -- Promote private sector leadership and regulate only when necessary. -- Establish administrative and economic systems based on predictable and transparent rules, and especially good governance.

Clearly, the time to act is now. It is time to seize the opportunity before us, for the sake of our children and generations to come. We have the tools, we have the knowledge, and -- as I have heard in this room during the past few days -- we must have the will.

In an important speech last week, President Bush outlined a new compact for global development. The compact, which he will present to the world in Monterrey this upcoming Friday, offers a clear path to broader digital opportunities. It links greater contributions by developed nations to greater responsibilities by developing countries. In return for the additional commitment from the developed world, developing nations must adopt the reforms and policies that make development effective and lasting. Marrying good policies to increased assistance is the only way to provide the tools needed to seize the opportunity of the global economy.

This compact is a collective responsibility, and the United States will lead by example with, among other efforts, a new $5 billion Millennium Challenge Account. In addition, today the U.S. is pleased to announce that the United States Telecommunications Training Institute will pursue ways to enhance training opportunities that will include a cooperative training arrangement between USTTI and the ITU. USTTI now has over 6,000 graduates, many of whom are no doubt in this room.

In summary, the ITU is in a unique position to lead the world community in working together to realize the potential benefits of the information revolution. If we leave Istanbul with a concrete action plan that addresses these matters in a forward-looking manner, we will have made great progress and this conference will have been an important success. Mr. Chairman, it remains the firm conviction of the United States that if we are to succeed in our shared desire for sustainable development, it is important that the ITU-D also succeeds.

What we do here is important to everyone who wants all the world's citizens to enjoy the benefits of the information age. We are honored to share this important responsibility with you.

Source: http://www.uspolicy.be/Issues/E-commerce/gross.032102.htm