Archive for March 2002

[eccr] Evaluating ICT initiatives

Wed Mar 06 09:52:12 GMT 2002

To: People and Organisations in with an interest and experience in
Information Technology issues and activities

From: Warren Feek - Director - The Communication Initiative

Many best wishes. This is a specific mailing to people and organisations
with a specific interest in new technology issues and activities. We would
very much welcome your engagement and response on the following items. Your
perspective and ideas will be very important for these processes. Please
also feel free to forward this note to your networks, colleagues and
friends. Thank you.

1. Pulse Poll - The present PULSE poll is on a new technology issue:
"Supporting investments in the new technologies by organisations working
'on-the-ground' should be the number one communication priority for funders
- do you agree or disagree?" Please register your response and comments at
http://www.comminit.com/pulse.html  The results of these polls are shared
widely through the Drum Beat network which includes people across the full
cross-section of development action - from funders and policy makers to
on-the-ground activists. It only takes a few seconds to complete each poll.
Thank you. http://www.comminit.com/pulse.html

2. The Communication Initiative is working with one of the CI partners, The
FAO, to develop a criteria and indicator typology for assessing the impact
of Information Communication Technology initiatives on development issues.
For example: what do you measure to assess the impact of a community
telecenter on the development issues faced by that community? Or a further
example: what do you measure to evaluate the added value of using ICT
strategies as part of an overall development strategy - such as a rural or
peri-urban development initiative?

We would welcome your input and engagement in the following way:

a. If you wish to be part of a group that convenes electronically over a two
week period to debate and discuss these issues, please send me your name,
email address, organisation and the ICT for development issues that are of
most interest to you.

and/or

b. Please send me information on the ICT for development initiatives that
you think are most effective and your reasoning behind that judgement. For
example - "In my opinion, X programme in Y country is very effective
because.....

and/or

c. Please recommend the books, articles and/or research documents that you
believe best explain or highlight the effectiveness of information
communication technologies on development issues. We would like to compile a
list of such materials as recommended by people engaged at field and policy
level.

3. CIDA/ACDI survey: "Needs Assessment and Stocktaking Survey: ICT for
Health Care and in Support Against HIV/AIDS"

CIDA/ACDI the Canadian International Development Agency [also a CI Partner]
is asking people to complete a survey on the use of ICT for Health care in
Support of HIV/AIDS. The Survey is attached in English and French.
Information from this survey will be fed into the Digital Opportunity Task
Force process which is linked to the G8 group of countries. We would be much
obliged if you could complete this questionnaire by March 14, 2002. Please
send your completed questionnaires either to Doug Beatson at CIDA/ACDI
(DOUG_BATESON /at/ acdi-cida.gc.ca) or to myself by return mail
(wfeek /at/ comminit.com) and I will send them on to Doug. CIDA/ACDI is attempting
to get a wide cross-section of perspectives for this process and the new
technologies allow for much broader input than was the case in the past.
Your experience is very valuable to them.

That's it - many thanks for feeding your experiences, ideas and perspectives
into these processes.

Best wishes - Warren

Warren Feek
Director - The Communication Initiative