Archive for publications, February 2020

[Commlist] new book: The Satanic in Science Fiction and Fantasy

Mon Feb 17 12:48:17 GMT 2020

Just to let you know my new research publication (The Satanic in Science Fiction and Fantasy) is now available for order (by libraries, etc).

The Satanic in Science Fiction and Fantasy officially launches at the BSFA national science fiction convention in April, but copies can of course be ordered from Amazon. It’s published under the alter-ego/author name A J Dalton (www.ajdalton.eu).

Link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satanic-Science-Fiction-Fantasy/dp/1913387046/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=dalton+satanic&qid=1581930816&sr=8-1

Here’s the official blurb:
Satan, Dracula, Sauron, Lord Foul, Darth Vader. The motif of the Satanic Dark Lord is ever-present in science fiction and fantasy, a malign intelligence seeking to thwart the Chosen One. In the literature of the 1980s and 90s, the Dark Lord is always defeated. However, post-millennium, there are signs that he has finally begun to get the upper hand, as we witness his change from anti-hero to hero. In this study, prize-winning author A J Dalton considers how our understanding and characterisation of Satan has developed over time. From early depictions of Satan as a brutal dragon in the Bible, to the playfully seductive friend in the works of Chaucer and Marlowe, to the sympathetic and sensitive vampire of the modern-day, to the alien and unknowable artificial intelligence of tomorrow. This book provides a starting point for researchers, writers and fans of science fiction and fantasy interested in the development of one of the biggest tropes in speculative fiction.