Archive for publications, November 2019

[Commlist] new book: Ecopiety: Green Media and the Dilemma of Environmental Virtue

Thu Nov 21 21:52:36 GMT 2019

*Ecopiety***

Green Media and the Dilemma of Environmental Virtue

*Sarah McFarland Taylor***

*_https://www.combinedacademic.co.uk/ecopiety _**__*

Confident that your personal good deeds of environmental virtue will save the earth? The stories we encounter about the environment in popular culture too often promote an imagined moral economy, assuring us that tiny acts of voluntary personal piety, such as recycling a coffee cup, or purchasing green consumer items, can offset our destructive habits. No need to make any fundamental structural changes. The trick is simply for the consumer to buy the right things and shop our way to a greener future.

It’s time for a reality check. /Ecopiety/ offers an absorbing examination of the intersections of environmental sensibilities, contemporary expressions of piety and devotion, and American popular culture. Ranging from portrayals of environmental sin and virtue such as the eco-pious depiction of Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey, to the green capitalism found in the world of mobile-device “carbon sin-tracking” software applications, to the socially conscious vegetarian vampires in True Blood, the volume illuminates the work pop culture performs as both a mirror and an engine for the greening of American spiritual and ethical commitments.

Taylor makes the case that it is not through a framework of grim duty or obligation, but through one of play and delight, that we may move environmental ideals into substantive action.

*Sarah McFarland Taylor*is Associate Professor in the Department of Religious Studies and in the Program in Environmental Policy and Culture at Northwestern University. She is the award-winning author of /Green Sisters: A Spiritual Ecology./

*New York University Press**| Religion and Social Transformation | November 2019 | 368pp | 9781479891313 | PB | £24.99**

*Price subject to change.