Archive for publications, May 2019

[Commlist] From Brass Bands to Buskers: Street Music in the UK new report, open access

Thu May 30 18:43:27 GMT 2019

As part of the AHRC Connected Communities project Public Culture and Creative Spaces, Dr Elizabeth Bennett and I have produced a free report on scholarly research and advocacy and policy documentation about street music in the UK, /From Brass Bands to Buskers/. We hope it will be of interest and use to some of you.

 From the introduction:

‘The purpose of this report is to chart and critically examine available writing about the historical and contemporary presence of street music in the cultural landscape and our shared public spaces, drawing on both academic and ‘grey’/cultural policy literature in the field. The review presents research findings under the headings of:

  * history
  * cultural policy and legislation
  * street music advocacy and campaigning
  * place-making, space and community
  * protest and social movements
  * creativity: performers, performance, and audience
  * festivals, carnival, live and outdoor arts.
The report concludes with a set of future recommendations for research. To accompany /From Brass Bands to Buskers/, a substantial annotated bibliography has been produced, which is also freely accessible online.’

About the report:

‘[T]his very well-researched study  … looks at the origins and cultural importance of street music, its benefits and in particular its contribution to societal creativity. It is also an impressive overview of the regulation of busking and street music and the risks it presents in terms of enforced conformity and restriction of diversity.’ Tim, Lord Clement-Jones.

You can download a copy from: https://ueaeprints.uea.ac.uk/70955/1/Bennett_McKay_Street_Music_report_interactive.pdf

DOI: 10.13140/RG.2.2.18521.98408

We have a number of paper copies too; if you would like one please get in touch with George McKay (AMA - Staff) <(George.Mckay /at/ UEA.AC.UK)>, providing your address.