Archive for publications, May 2019

[Commlist] Special Issue 'Big Data from the South' published

Tue May 07 13:54:16 GMT 2019

We are happy to announce the publication of a Special Issue of Television & New Media exploring ‘Big Data from the South’. We are particularly proud to share the news with you all because this Special Issue is one of the outcomes of a pre-conference we hosted right before the IAMCR conference in Cartagena in July 2017.

Edited by Stefania Milan (DATACTIVE, University of Amsterdam) and Emiliano Treré (Data Justice Lab, Cardiff University), it features six articles and a commentary, as follows:

Milan/Treré: 'Big Data from the South(s): Beyond Data Universalism’ (Milan/Treré) (>> open access at https://doi.org/10.1177/1527476419837739) Nick Couldry and Ulises A. Mejias: Data Colonialism: Rethinking Big Data’s Relation to the Contemporary Subject Paola Ricaurte: Data Epistemologies, The Coloniality of Power, and Resistance
Payal Arora: Decolonizing Privacy Studies
Monique Mann and Angela Daly: (Big) Data and the North-in-South: Australia’s Informational Imperialism and Digital Colonialism Jean-Marie Chenou and Carolina Cepeda-Másmela: #NiUnaMenos: Data Activism From the Global South María Soledad Segura and Silvio Waisbord: Between Data Capitalism and Data Citizenship (commentary)

Explore the Special Issue at https://journals.sagepub.com/toc/tvna/current

Psssstt: we will host an informal launch of the Special Issue at the forthcoming IAMCR conference in Madrid! Stay tuned!
Best, Stefania y Emiliano