Archive for publications, June 2016

[ecrea] New special issue of Visual Studies 31(2) out: Visual Archives in the Digital Age

Mon Jun 27 16:41:35 GMT 2016

Special issue of Visual Studies 31(2) out: "Visual Archives in the Digital Age"

Guest editors: Marion G. Müller, John A. Bateman, and Ognyan Seizov

About the special issue:

"In assembling this collection on /“Visual Archives in the Digital Age”/, our objective was to provide the visual academic community, via one of its pivotal journals, with accounts of multifaceted approaches to solving the challenges that digitisation and technology-assisted visualisation pose for visual archives, visual archivists, and visual scholars alike. In our digital age, the very terminology becomes blurry: Are digital archives databases? How are the data processed and by whom? What is the difference between textual, audio, and visual materials in terms of their archive preservation and usage? What does the digitisation trend mean for applied archiving, for archive users, but also for archive keepers? What can we learn from current scholarship for the immediate future of visual archives in the digital age?"

Academic articles in this issue:

"Visual archives in the digital age"
Marion G. Müller, John A. Bateman, and Ognyan Seizov

"25 years of digital archives of visual materials: What we've done, what we've learned, and what challenges remain"
Howard Besser, NYU

"/Prometheus/ meets /Meta-Image/: Implementations of Aby Warburg's methodological approach in the digital era"
Martin Warnke, Leuphana University Lüneburg
Lisa Dieckmann, University of Cologne

"Using words to network images: Indexing and interaction strategies in a digital archive"
Susanne Schumacher, Zurich University of the Arts

"Towards next-generation visual archives: Image, film and discourse"
John A. Bateman, Chiao-I Tseng, and Ognyan Seizov, University of Bremen
Arne Jacobs and Andree Lüdtke, TZI Bremen
Otthein Herzog and Marion G. Müller, Jacobs University Bremen

Link to the special issue: <http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rvst20/31/2>

--
Dr. Ognyan Seizov
Communication Science

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Faculty of Linguistics and Literary Science
University of Bremen

GW2, Room A3460
Bibliothekstr. 1
28359 Bremen