Archive for publications, April 2016

[ecrea] New book: Social Media and Everyday Politics

Sat Apr 09 12:50:07 GMT 2016

I am delighted to announce the publication of my first book, Social Media and Everyday Politics, out now in paperback and hardback in the UK, Europe, and Australia through Polity (with the ebook and US release to come in the next months). Publication details can be found at Polity's site: http://www.polity.co.uk/book.asp?ref=9780745691343 -- the paperback especially is available at a pretty decent price of US$25, and for orders through the publisher's site (http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0745691358.html) there is a 20% discount available using the code PY720.

While this is, clearly, a book about social media and politics, it’s not just about politicians and elections and Twitter and blogs – after all, there’s far more to both 'social media' and 'politics' than just those topics. Rather, here's the blurb:

"From selfies and memes to hashtags and parodies, social media are used for mundane and personal expressions of political commentary, engagement, and participation. The coverage of politics reflects the social mediation of everyday life, where individual experiences and thoughts are documented and shared online.

In Social Media and Everyday Politics, Tim Highfield examines political talk as everyday occurrences on Twitter, Facebook, blogs, Tumblr, Instagram, and more. He considers the personal and the political, the serious and the silly, and the everyday within the extraordinary, as politics arises from seemingly banal and irreverent topics. The analysis features international examples and evolving practices, from French blogs to Vine loops from Australia, via the Arab Spring, Occupy, #JeSuisCharlie, Eurovision, #BlackLivesMatter, Everyday Sexism, and #illridewithyou.

This timely book will be a valuable resource for students and scholars in media and communications, internet studies, and political science, as well as general readers keen to understand our contemporary media and political contexts."

And reviews:
"Politics is personal and the personal is political. As new media platforms enhance our ability to express ourselves and connect with others, everyday politics are performed in public spheres interconnected by social media. Tim Highfield makes this abundantly clear in Social Media and Everyday Politics, a must read volume for those interested in how the language, the practice, and the meaning of political expression evolve in contemporary societies. His approach offers rich theoretical terms, methodological insight, and analytical rigor to our understanding of how social media reorganize political realities." -- Zizi Papacharissi, University of Illinois at Chicago

"This is an excellent book. It is comprehensive and up-to-date. It is a great introduction to social media in general – but especially delivers handsomely on its topic of everyday politics and social media. The range of examples and cases are terrific and well-analysed. I especially like the authorial voice; grounded, funny, lively, sharp." -- Gerard Goggin, University of Sydney

I have also put up additional information on my website, including Amazon and Book Depository listings, and more: http://timhighfield.net/?page_id=670

If you're going to ICA in Japan in June, too, I will be there with the book for its first major public appearance (with more to come)!

I hope it's an interesting and useful read (and entertaining, too), and I look forward to any feedback and thoughts.

Dr Tim Highfield
Vice-Chancellor's Research Fellow, Digital Media
Creative Industries Faculty, Queensland University of Technology, Brisbane, Australia
(t.highfield /at/ qut.edu.au) | timhighfield.net | @timhighfield