Archive for calls, July 2023

[Commlist] Open Call for Feminist Commodities

Mon Jul 10 09:11:25 GMT 2023

    *OPEN CALL FOR ‘Do You Buy This?’ Exhibition*
    *📍 Ugly Duck | 3-6th August, 2023*

    Students of the History of Design MA Programme at the Victoria &
    Albert Museum and the
    Royal College of Art; Amber Kim, Cas Bradbeer, Sufiyeh Hadian and
    Zarna Hart will be
    curating an exhibition of commodified fourth-wave feminist objects
    from 2012 to
    the present day.

    The show will consider commodified objects that explore
    intersectional feminist themes,
    featuring works that have been created by independent artists such
    as the /You Are Safe
    /
    /Here/ zine by Rachael House, alongside objects that were produced
    in corporate
    environments such as a ‘FEMINIST’ t-shirt from high-street chain
    H&M. As the temperature
    of unrest is igniting conversation about our spending power, it is
    crucial to consider the
    duality between critiquing corporate co-option and supporting
    feminist practice.

    Using research and artefact analysis of physical objects, digital
    matter, and spaces as well
    as services, interactions, policies, institutions and technical
    systems in order to reshape
    historical narratives and ask ambitious and relevant questions. This
    exhibition will form part
    of the degree as a student-led initiative and will create a basis of
    wider investigations into the
    commodification and capitalisation of social justice, and if the two
    can ever really co-exist.
    *To contribute to the collection of objects, please submit to our
    open call <https://forms.gle/qPExFNdoXaUzn7rVA>: lending us your *
    *feminist objects. *
    /
    /
    /“Our aim as curators is to critique the paradox between of
    financially support feminist practice /
    /while resisting capitalism, and we are inviting our audience to
    engage with this discourse.”/

        /- Zarna Hart, Cas Bradbeer, Sufiyeh Hadian and Amber Kim/

    Housed at Ugly Duck, based on the ground floor of their Victorian
    warehouse in SE1, the
    exhibition will be open for three days and will include an
    interactive installation and workshops
    from artists.

    This exhibition is funded by the V&A and RCA's Student-Led Project
    Fund, in addition to the
    Design History Society’s Research Exhibition Grant.

    Visit www.doyoubuythis.com <http://www.doyoubuythis.com/> for more
    information or contact (doyoubuythis /at/ gmail.com)
    <mailto:(doyoubuythis /at/ gmail.com)>