Archive for calls, October 2022

[Commlist] Senses of Cinema CFP

Fri Oct 21 09:35:33 GMT 2022

/Senses of Cinema/is accepting proposals for a dossier on *Cinema and Piracy,*to be featured in Issue 105 of the journal. The dossier will propose that piracy has facilitated the accessibility and creativity of cinema in different geo-political contexts (for example: in Asia, Africa, Eastern Europe, and Latin America), in a way that the local legitimate cinema infrastructure has not, crossing censorial, transcultural, and economic barriers. This dossier will foreground the heterogeneous practices of piracy that are integral to an alternative cinema and public culture. This alternative cinema and public culture propelled by piracy foreground on-demand film spectatorship and small-screen consumption, allowing a challenge to the cinema cultural hegemony channelled by amateur/cinephilic/artistic initiatives. The editors welcome proposals for articles that emphasise piracy’s democratic/grassroots aspirations, socio-cultural experiments, and aesthetic potential in the global context. Potential topics can include, but are not limited to:

Piracy and accessibility to cinema
Piracy in the context of censorship
The relationship between piracy and national cinema
The dissemination and reception of piracy
The influence of piracy on independent/amateur filmmaking and video art
Piracy and cinephilia
Piracy infrastructure and creativity

Please note that we do not accept completed works at the proposal stage. Due to the amount of proposals we receive, we kindly ask that you only submit finished pieces at our invitation. If you would like to contribute to this dossier, please email:

(xiang /at/ sensesofcinema.com) <mailto:(xiang /at/ sensesofcinema.com)> with 250 words that succinctly states:

A suggested title
What your article will be about
The argument or perspective you plan to take
Why it will be of interest to the Senses readership
Links to any previously published work you have written

The deadline for proposals is 30 November, 2022. Commissioned works will need to be sent to relevant editors by 15 February 2023. Our desired word count is between 2000 and 5000 words. If you would like your work peer reviewed, please let us know when you submit your initial proposal. Peer reviewed articles on Senses of Cinema are normally between 3000 and 5000 words. Contributions will need to follow our Style Guide <https://www.sensesofcinema.com/about/style-guide/>. Additionally, Senses of Cinema is a labour of love and we don’t have the funds to pay contributors. Please note that by submitting a proposal for consideration for publication in Senses of Cinema you agree to the terms and conditions set out in our Writers’ Agreement.

https://www.sensesofcinema.com/call-for-submissions/