Archive for calls, October 2022

[Commlist] ICA 2023 pre-conference: Mis/disinformation and the artifices of authenticity and authentication

Thu Oct 13 22:30:56 GMT 2022

It is a pleasure to invite you to the 2023 International Communication Association pre-conference:

*
*

*Mis/disinformation and the artifices of authenticity and authentication*.

The conference is organized by the Digital Democracies Institute <https://digitaldemocracies.org/> (Simon Fraser University) and York University and will take place in Toronto on May 24, 2023 (one day before ICA).

For this pre-conference, we seek critical explorations of authenticity and authentication as they relate to digital manipulation and digital artifice.

  * How is authenticity caught, created, faked, authenticated and
    managed through digital assemblages?
  * How is it both constructed as a felt experience, as well as
    machinized though automated recognition patterns?
  * If authenticity is key to misinformation, then what kind of
    interventions can we imagine to question, and undermine such
    articulation?
  * What new algorithms of authenticity could we imagine and deploy?

We are particularly interested in research that examines the fabrication of digitally mediated authentic experiences, be they non-conscious and habitual, or spectacular and deeply meaningful. We are interested in research that explores how objects and persons come to be seen and experienced as authentic and inauthentic, which includes paying attention to how authenticity – in its affective, emotional, non-conscious and cognitive dimensions – is constructed via technical affordances, media habits, political rhetoric, mass-personal communication, network rhythms, recommendation algorithms and targeted campaigns. Equally, we are interested in work that critically and creatively challenges the articulation of authenticity with misinformation.

We welcome a wide array of methodological approaches – qualitative, quantitative, speculative, creative, participatory, collaborative and others. We are open to different formats of intervention, from traditional papers to research-creation. We also welcome proposals for short workshops (1 hour length), demonstrations and other modes of collaborative inquiries.

A full description of the conference is available here <https://docs.google.com/document/d/13ClWY5bRVnr8Tq-4mvPxPIWoMR10WFfeNHQhuCsT8yc/edit?usp=sharing>.

Please submit *150-200 words abstract to (ICA2023Preconf /at/ gmail.com) by December 20, 2022*. Notices of acceptance will be sent on 11 January 2023.

*Key details and dates:*