Archive for calls, October 2022

[Commlist] Disney, Culture & Society Research Network Conference CFP

Mon Oct 03 21:26:38 GMT 2022

Disney at 100 Years: Everlasting Entertainment and a Spellbinding Future
26th, 27th, 28th, 29th June 2023

An international, multi-billion dollar media conglomerate, the Walt Disney Company has been in our lives since 1923. From Disney’s humble beginnings to its current transmedia success, the academic exploration of the Walt Disney Company’s business, films, products, theme parks, shows, streaming platform, and other consumer experiences has come to the fore in recent years through the creation of Disney Studies. To celebrate the 100-year anniversary of the Walt Disney Company and the first year of our own Disney, Culture & Society Research Network, we want to reflect on the past, present, and future of conversations around Disney Studies in our first annual conference.

We are aware of the current state of the world with the Covid-19 pandemic, the financial precarity of scholars, and the environmental harm and the difficulties of procuring visas for international travel. We want to make this conference as accessible to as many different Disney scholars as possible, so this will be a free online conference.

For the Disney, Culture and Society Research Network, Disney Studies spans a range of interdisciplinary fields and topics. If you are researching elements of the Walt Disney Company in its wide range of capacities, we want to hear from you. We invite abstract submissions on a diverse range of Disney Studies topics as represented by our Network, including but not limited to:

Disney History
Disney Industry
Disney Music
Disney Animation
Disney Live Action
Pixar
Lucasfilm
Marvel
Disney Princesses
Disney Villains
Disney & Identity
Disney & Ethnicity
Disney & Disability
Disney & Race
Disney & Gender
Disney & Sexuality
Disney & Queer Studies
Disney & Art
Disney & Fandom
Disney & Food
Disney & Fairy Tales
Disney & Children’s Literature
Disney Merchandising
Disney Theme Parks
Disney Tourism
Disney Theatre
Disney+

Timeline
Abstract Deadline: January 31, 2023
Acceptances Communicated & Registration Open: March 15, 2023
Registration Closes: June 6, 2023
Conference: June 26, 27, 28, and 29, 2023

Information Required If you would like to submit an abstract for this conference, please do so in this Google Form (https://forms.gle/xufLLfrhRD2nVNGR8). Members and nonmembers of DisNet are welcome to submit. You will need to provide the following information:
Name
Email
Affiliation
Time zone in June
Abstract (250-300 words)
Whether you would like to be a part of a traditional conference panel or a roundtable (15-20 minutes for presentations; 5-8 minutes for roundtables)
Biography (~100 words)
Accessibility requirements you would like to bring to our attention

For more on DisNet and to remain up to date on all of what DisNet has to offer, please see:
DisNet website: https://disnetwork.wixsite.com/disnet
Twitter: @_DisNet (https://twitter.com/_DisNet); #DisNet100