[Commlist] cfp: communication +1 seeking proposals for Volume 8, “Crises and Communication"

Wed Dec 30 17:54:24 GMT 2020

Reminder: communication +1 seeking proposals for Volume 8, “Crises and Communication"  Due Jan 10th 2021

Edited by Zachary McDowell, Peter Royal, and Justin Raden

Notwithstanding the current situation, periods of crisis and upheaval exacerbate inequities in our communication infrastructure and throw into sharp relief the profound barriers to access. In such fraught moments, we can glimpse the extent to which our systems of mediation differentially serve and confound us according to our positionality within these systems. To understand the effects of crises on communication, it is important to consider the history of systems of mediation that have both limited and encouraged access, participation, and equity across knowledge, space, and culture. What have crises, both present, perpetual, and past, intimated about flaws, gaps, and inequities in systems of communication that are overlooked or disregarded under “normal” (if “normal” exists) conditions? How might we think about how infrastructure relates to the crises and thus the infrastructures of communication are the infrastructures of communication in/justice? How and why are people and communities affected differently in these crises, and how do systems of communication and mediation both mitigate and compound these phenomena?

Questions of meaning making, truth, misinformation, and access are welcomed within our new collection. In particular, bringing new context and contextualization (whether philosophical, historical, archeological, rhetorical, ecological, or otherwise) to query contemporary crises of communicative access issues are welcome.

Please submit short proposals of no more than 500 words by January 10th, 2021 to (communicationplusone /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(communicationplusone /at/ gmail.com)>

Upon invitation, full text submissions will be due April 5th, 2021, with expected publication in August, 2021. Invitations will be sent out no later than the end of January 2021.

About the Journal

The aim of communication +1 is to promote new approaches to and open new horizons in the study of communication from an interdisciplinary perspective. We are particularly committed to promoting research that seeks to constitute new areas of inquiry and to explore new frontiers of theoretical activities linking the study of communication to both established and emerging research programs in the humanities, social sciences, and arts. Other than the commitment to rigorous scholarship, communication +1 sets no specific agenda. Its primary objective is to create a space for thoughtful experiments and for communicating these experiments.

communication +1 is an open access journal supported by University of Massachusetts Amherst Libraries and the Department of Communication

communicationplusone.org <http://communicationplusone.org/>.

    Editors

Briankle G. Chang, University of Massachusetts Amherst

Zachary J. McDowell, University of Illinois at Chicago

    Advisory Board

Sean Johnson Andrews, Columbia College Chicago

Lisa Åkervall, University of Gothenburg, Sweden

Nathalie Casemajor, University of Québec Outaouais

Jimena Canales, University of Illinois Urbana Champaign

Bernard Geoghegan, Kings College, London

Lawrence Grossberg, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

David Gunkel, Northern Illinois University

Peter Krapp, University of California Irvine

Catherine Malabou, Kingston University, United Kingdom

Jussi Parikka, University of Southampton, United Kingdom

John Durham Peters, Yale University

Amit Pinchevski,The Hebrew University of Jerusalem

Florian Sprenger, Goethe-University Frankfurt, Germany

Jonathan Sterne, McGill University

Ted Striphas, University of Colorado, Boulder

Christina Vagt, University of California Santa Barbara

Greg Wise, Arizona State University

For more information about the project in general, as well as short pieces, lectures, and interviews, visitcommunicationplusone.org <http://communicationplusone.org/>.

For more information or to participate in thecommunicationplusone.org <http://communicationplusone.org/>project, please email (communicationplusone /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(communicationplusone /at/ gmail.com)>