[Commlist] Call for Contributors - What Could Media Studies Be?

Thu Dec 17 11:52:59 GMT 2020

In association with the Media Education Association, Viki Walden is hosting an online event on Saturday February 13th called 'What Could Media Studies Be?'

The morning will be composed of 'teachmeet' style short presentations from those teaching media, offering a space to share great practice.

The afternoon will feature a panel and whole group discussion about what the future of media studies could be.

*I encourage anyone teaching media to submit a proposal for the teach meet session.*

The full call is below, the deadline has been extended to *January 5th, 2021. *
*
*

*Teachers Talking: What Could Media Studies Be? *

*/21^st Century Media Learning from Primary to Higher Education/*

**

*Saturday 13^th February 2021*

*10am – 4pm*

The Covid-19 Pandemic emphasised just how vital media are to our education, work, public health, community, and leisure. Yet media education continues to be at risk as part of a wider attack on arts and humanities. This seems like an opportune moment to bring together media teachers from across primary, secondary, FE and HE for reflection and dialogue about what our subject is, how we teach it, and what we think it could be.

The spirit of this *free one-day* *online event* is one that is *democratised and animated*. We encourage debate and learning from each other in an environment where we respect differing opinions and feel comfortable defending and/or changing our position. From PGCE students and NQTs to experienced teachers and lecturers, we want to hear about your experiences in primary, secondary, further, and higher education.

What’s gone well? What hasn’t worked? What have you learnt? What exciting things have you tried in the classroom? What ideas do you have for our subject’s future?

We welcome proposals for *5-10 minute ‘teach meet’ style presentations *from media educators across all sectors. You could share one of your greatest teaching and learning moments, a problem you would like to share with colleagues working in different contexts, or an idea you have for pushing media education further up the agenda in institutions and policy. If you’re not sure what a ‘teach meet’ is, find out here <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeachMeet>.  You can present solo, with a colleague, or as part of a team.

We’re not interested in deep theoretical investigations or sales pitches of edtech products. Recognising that all colleagues are overworked, we want to create spaces to support each other by sharing good practice, inspiring collaborations, and solving problems together. This is about what we do in the day-to-day as educators.

*Aims of the day:*

1.To learn from our colleagues with different levels of experience and working in different educational settings

2.To celebrate our teaching achievements after almost a year of working in incredibly difficult circumstances

3.To enhance a sense of community between primary, secondary, FE and HE media educators

4.To bring together ideas about what we want our subject to be and make plans for the future

*Schedule*

In the morning, educators from all sectors and contexts will be invited to share their experiences in teach meet sessions on themes such as Media Making, Getting Creative with Assessment, Making Theory Interesting, Getting Students to do Analysis, and Teaching with Tech.

In the afternoon, we will have a panel of speakers representing the media education landscape from primary to higher education, who will speak to our conference’s key question: What Could Media Studies Be? This will be followed by a group mind-mapping session, which we hope you will all join, to define action points to drive forward the future of media education.

There will be social opportunities and breaks away from the screen embedded into the day.

If you would like to*propose a teach meet session, *please tell us a little bit about yourself and your proposal here. <https://forms.gle/qtu39GpfxwpopV4c7>**

If you would like to*register to attend the event*, but do not wish to present, please sign up here <https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/what-could-media-studies-be-21st-century-media-learning-primary-to-he-tickets-129911624165>(we will send out a full programme nearer the date)

*_The deadline for presenter submissions is 5th January 2021_*

*__*

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the conference organiser at (v.walden /at/ sussex.ac.uk) <mailto:(v.walden /at/ sussex.ac.uk)>with the subject line: Teachers Talking.