[Commlist] cfp: Chinese DiGRA Conference, 2020

Thu Aug 20 20:48:18 GMT 2020

*Chinese DiGRA Conference, 2020 *

We are excited to announce this year’s Chinese DiGRA conference, hosted by the School of International Communications at the University of Nottingham Ningbo China on the 24^th of October 2020. Given the current restrictions on travel, we are planning this year’s Chinese DiGRA as an online event. Papers will be presented via Zoom to registered conference attendees, and there will be Q&A sessions as usual. While we would much prefer to be inviting everyone to Ningbo, there are some advantages to the online format: this year, we encourage people to submit and present in Chinese or English, and we will be providing subtitling for all the presentations.

**

*Call for Papers*

*//*

*/Conference themes/**

*

We invite submissions on any aspect of Chinese games, game industries, game design and gaming cultures. We also invite submissions from people located in the Chinese-speaking region who are researching any aspect of games. Topics may include, but are not limited to:

  * Analyses of game design and development traditions and practices in
    the region
  * Representation, diversity and inclusiveness in ‘Chinese’ games and
    game (development/play) cultures
  * The Chinese game industries and their future possibilities/weaknesses
  * Critical analysis of the Chinese game industries
  * Gaming and production cultures in specific ‘Chinese’ regions
  * China as the biggest videogame market in the world
  * Critical analyses of ‘Chinese’ games and games popular in China
  * Critical considerations of future game development in the
    Chinese-speaking region
  * Local game design issues
  * Specificities regarding computer games within Chinese cross-media
    environments
  * Computer games and playability in the context of interactive art and
    creative media
  * Government policy on production and consumption of games
  * Esports in the Chinese speaking region and beyond
  * The history of Chinese games and gaming
  * Comparative analyses of Chinese and other games, game industries and
    game cultures

    *The Chinese DiGRA conference facilitates networking amongst game
    scholars working in the Chinese-speaking region. Therefore, apart
    from the above topics we also encourage submissions from scholars
    located in the Chinese-speaking region working onany aspect of game
    research.

    Format:
  * Submissions can be in English or Chinese.
  * Please submit a maximum 1000 word (or 1700 characters) extended
    abstract.

*/
/*

*//*

*/Important dates/*

September 20^th : Deadline for submissions

September 30^th : Decisions announced. Presenters receive additional practical information about how to record and submit their presentations (we recommend PowerPoint with voiceover or the free and open software OBS [Open Broadcast Software])

October 1^st : Conference registration opens

October 7^th : To facilitate subtitling, we ask all presenters to send us a video (or a PowerPoint presentation with voiceover) and transcript of their presentation in advance. We will translate and subtitle the video/PPT with voiceover. The presentation will be broadcast at the conference, and this will be followed by a live Q&A session.

October 24^th : Conference.

*//*

*/How to submit/**
*Please email a pdf version of a maximum 1000-word/1700 character (excluding references) extended abstract no later than *September 20^th , 2020*(toChinesedigra2020 /at/ nottingham.edu.cn) <mailto:(Chinesedigra2020 /at/ nottingham.edu.cn)>. Please make sure to include “CDiGRA2020 Submission” in the subject line of your message. Extended abstracts will be selected by conference and program chairs based on their academic rigor and relevance to the themes of the conference. Note that the extended abstracts do not need to be anonymous. Notifications of acceptance will be sent by the end of September. Accepted authors will have an opportunity to submit their extended abstracts for inclusion in the DiGRA Digital Library.For questions regarding paper submission and the topics of the conference, or for questions on the conference, please (contactChinesedigra2020 /at/ nottingham.edu.cn) <mailto:(Chinesedigra2020 /at/ nottingham.edu.cn)>.//

*//*

*/Organization description and history/**
*Chinese DiGRA is a regional chapter of DiGRA (Digital Games Research Association) focusing on game research relevant to Chinese speaking countries and the surrounding regions. Chinese DiGRA aims to enhance the quality, quantity, and international profile of games research in the Chinese-speaking context, by developing a network of game scholars and researchers working in the Chinese-speaking world and/or on aspects of Chinese games and gaming cultures, forging links between academic and professional researchers on games, supporting teaching and PhD development in the region, and disseminating and promoting Chinese game scholarship around the world. Chinese DiGRA is run by a board comprised of top academics in the fields of Chinese games research from Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan. You can find more information on Chinese DiGRA, including papers from previous conferences, atour website <http://www.chinesedigra.org/>.

*/Keynote speaker: /*

To be announced.

*//*

*/Organising committee of Chinese DiGRA 2020 Conference/*

Dr Bjarke Liboriussen (Assistant Professor, University of Nottingham Ningbo China)

Dr Paul Martin (Associate Professor, University of Nottingham Ningbo China)