[Commlist] 2020 SFU CMNS Grad Conference: Research and Possibility Beyond Communication Studies

Wed Mar 04 19:30:30 GMT 2020

*Call for Proposals: 2020 Simon Fraser University Communication Graduate Student Conference*
*Deadline Extended: New Deadline 15 March 2020 (PST 11:59 PM)*

*All You Need Is… *
Research and Possibility Beyond Communication Studies

SFU Harbour Centre Campus, Vancouver, BC
Located at the intersection of a number of academic fields and engaging with concepts and phenomena that affect our perception of the world and our daily lives, communication studies is well-positioned to generate invigorating debate, out-of-the-box research, and anti-status-quo critique. In a context in which digital technology casts a shadow on democracy, transnational capital’s power grows exponentially, and the voices of citizen-activists become fainter as algorithms gain agency, how might we conceive of creative and critical research as an agent of possibility? Taking stock of contemporary social, political, economic, and environmental conditions, it is easy to get the impression that we are riding a collective train that is gathering speed en route to a dead end. What alternative possibilities can communication scholars produce, highlight, and call for through research?

Drawing on the interdisciplinary potential of communication studies, the 2020 SFU School of Communication Graduate Caucus Conference aims to generate conversation by highlighting the ways in which graduate-level research can address, challenge, and rethink the issues and stakes of our times. Twenty years into the new millennium, we ask graduate students in communication studies and associated disciplines: How might we conceive of research as a motor of possibility, or, vice-versa, of possibility as a motor of research? Through this conference, we hope to create a space conducive to cross-disciplinary dialogue, engaged critique, creative proposals, and provocative re-imaginings from graduate students across Canada.

The organizing team encourages graduate students across the globe. We are now accepting proposals for papers (presentations), panels, workshops and roundtables that examine the following keywords (but not limited to):

  * Communication studies
  * Research
  * Possibility
  * Creativity
  * Critique
  * Imagination
  * Alternatives
  * Creative methodologies
  * Interdisciplinarity
  * Pedagogy and communication

Please submit a 250-word abstract, exclusive of references, for 15-minute paper presentations, presentation of in-progress research (MA/PhD), GCMA capstone projects, term papers, and participatory presentation formats to (sfucmnsgradconference2020 /at/ gmail.com) <mailto:(sfucmnsgradconference2020 /at/ gmail.com)> no later than *March 15, 2020 (PST 11:59 PM)*.

We are pleased to announce that we just confirmed a fantastic keynote speaker, /Margret Grebowicz, a feminist environmental philosopher/, is coming to our event. We look forward to your many interests.

*Margret Grebowicz* explores the cultural aspects of environmental problems and solutions in her writing and public speaking. She is the author of Whale Song, The National Park to Come, Why Internet Porn Matters, Beyond the Cyborg: Adventures with Donna Haraway, and numerous academic articles on topics in animal studies, science and technology studies, and feminist environmental ethics. Her recent essays, in venues like The Atlantic and The Philosophical Salon, cover topics from the Himalaya and Chernobyl to interactive dog feeders and artificial insemination of bees. She has worked as a professional jazz vocalist in New York City and as a philosophy professor at the University of Houston-Downtown, Goucher College in Baltimore, Maryland, and the University of Tyumen, Russia. She lives on a windy hilltop in northwest upstate New York, where she delights in the weak WiFi. Her book in progress, Mountains and Desire, will be published by Repeater in 2020.

/** The guest lecture is open to the public (Time and Location - TBA)./

Key Dates:
*15 March 2020: Extended deadline for abstract submission (PST 11:59 PM)*
27 March 2020: Corresponding authors notified of decisions
14 April 2020: Deadline for presenters to confirm participation in Conference
7 May 2020: Conference registrations close (RSVP recommended)
14 May 2020: Conference starts in Vancouver, BC

General Inquiries:

  * Mariane Bourcheix-Laporte (mbourche /at/ sfu.ca) <mailto:(mbourche /at/ sfu.ca)>
  * Hyejin Jo (hyejinj /at/ sfu.ca) <mailto:(hyejinj /at/ sfu.ca)>

Simon Fraser University acknowledges the Traditional Coast Salish Lands including the Squamish (Sḵwxwú7mesh Úxwumixw), Tsleil ̱ -Waututh (səlilh w̓ətaʔɬ) and Musqueam (xʷməθkʷəy̓əm) Nations.