[Commlist] CFP: Issue 4 of "Tecmerin: Journal of Audiovisual Essays", Censorship and Media Dossier & Open Call

Mon Jan 13 20:23:32 GMT 2020

e are launching the CFP for issue 4 of "Tecmerin: Journal of Audiovisual Essays".

While we maintain the open call for video-essays, we are especially interested in audiovisual works about Censorship and the Media for issue 4.

Full CFPs and instructions for authors follow:

OPEN CALL FOR VIDEO ESSAYS:

/Tecmerin: Journal of Audiovisual Essays/ has a special interest, although not exclusive, in Spanish and Latin American cultural production. Consequently, we invite scholars, researchers and creators to send pieces centered on the production, consumption, circulation and cultural exchange within these geographical areas.

CFP ISSUE 4: DOSSIER ON CENSORSHIP AND MEDIA (guest editor, Manuel Palacio).

In the last few years, there has been a generalized re-definition of the parameters that define freedom of speech in relation to previous decades. Increasingly, certain legislative, judicial and institutional decisions are reminiscent of forms of censorship that existed in the past. This tendency is clearly visible in countries with well-established democracies such as France or the United Kingdom but it is even more discernible in territories from Eastern Europe, Asia and America with less consolidated egalitarian regimes. In Tecmerin: Journal of Audiovisual Media, we are interested in reflecting upon the lessening of freedom of speech within audiovisual media and the Internet. We are proposing the following areas of analysis, although we also invite contributors to approach other, related, issues:

  * Film censorship and controversies in the public sphere.
  * Censorship and damage.
  * The protection of specific audience groups.
  * Censorship and gender.
  * The representation of the censor in cinema and television.
  * Dubbing and censorship.
  * Double or multiple versions of films or television series.
  * Censorship in film history.
  * Censorship in television history.

*Instructions for authors:*

Researchers and creators may send their videos to one of the following essays sections:

*1. Video-Essays:* audiovisual essays that offer a critical take on diverse aspects of cinema, television and popular culture.

*2. Creators:* experimental or documentary pieces that approach a specific cultural topic.

Video-Essays must be uploaded on *VIMEO, as private*. Each author will send the following information to this email *(tecmerinrevista /at/ uc3m.es) <mailto:(tecmerinrevista /at/ uc3m.es)>*:

  * Vimeo url address.
  * Password for video.
  * 400-600 word text, presenting the video in pdf format.

*Deadline "Open Call" and “Censorship and Media” dossier for issue 4, February 15th, 2020. *

*Videos cannot contain the name of the author to facilitate the blind peer review.*

Language: Video essays can be in any language with Spanish or/and English subtitles.

Length: the preferred length of the video essays is 10 minutes approximately.

The presentation text must be in Spanish or English. If the video is accepted, we recommend authors to include the presentation text and subtitles both in Spanish and English in order to increase the visibility of their pieces.

Feel free to contact us if you have any issues.