[Commlist] Call for journal articles on African digital media research methods

Mon Sep 23 21:49:31 GMT 2019

Please note - We are extending the call for abstracts to Monday 30 September. Please include a short bio in your submission

CALL FOR DIGITAL MEDIA RESEARCH METHODS JOURNAL ARTICLES - TO BE PUBLISHED IN THE AFRICAN DIGITAL MEDIA REVIEW 2020

African Digital Media Review is published annually as a special edition of the journal African Journalism Studies, published by Taylor & Francis. It aims to explore the role of new digital technologies in African communication contexts. The 2020 edition will be dedicated to digital media research methods.

We hope to represent digital media research methods used in West, East, Central and Southern Africa. We aim to include a mix of digital media research methods, and are looking forward to diverse submissions such as:

•             online digital ethnographic approaches

•             large scale data analysis of social media analytics,

•             textual analysis of web media,

•             visual analysis of social media such as Instagram,

•             to small scale studies of apps and the communities that use them.

We are particularly interested in debates around the methods best suited to African contexts:

•             What are the epistemological challenges and ethical conundrums that African socio-political environments present for the use of specific digital media research methods?

•             How have methods from elsewhere been adapted to diverse contexts on the continent?

PLEASE NOTE: Make sure your abstract focuses on the research METHODS you followed – we have received a number of abstracts that focus on digital media research, but highlight general findings instead of focusing on methods. If you would like to modify your abstract to focus on research methods you are free to resubmit within the new deadline

Also include a short bio.

If you have sent an abstract but did not submit a bio, please send both again.

Abstracts of 500 words need to be submitted by the 30th of September. Please send them to (digimethods /at/ ru.ac.za) <mailto:(digimethods /at/ ru.ac.za)>   Once your abstract has been selected, a completed article of 8000 words needs to be ready for peer review by the end of January. This edition will be guest-edited by Tanja Bosch, Harry Dugmore, Hayes Mabweazara and Alette Schoon.

Please see the guidelines for authors here https://www.tandfonline.com/action/authorSubmission?show=instructions&journalCode=recq21