[Commlist] CFP: Materializing Digital Futures: Touch, Movement, Sound and Vision (Bloomsbury)

Wed Aug 28 11:02:43 GMT 2019

This is a call for chapters for an edited collection, /Materializing Digital Futures: Touch, Movement, Sound and Vision /(Bloomsbury)

Editors - Toija Cinque and Jordan Beth Vincent (Deakin University)

*/Materializing Digital Futures: Touch, Movement, Sound and Vision /**(Bloomsbury) – CFP*

*Editors: Toija Cinque and Jordan Beth Vincent (Deakin University) **(Toija.Cinque /at/ deakin.edu.au)* <mailto:(Toija.Cinque /at/ deakin.edu.au)>**

**

**

As the technological climate continually evolves, the implications for society and individuals are being drawn in stark relief. Globally, personal and industrial data collection, data sharing and increased self-tracking practices using social media applications on mobile screen devices that are linked to wearable devices or recorded data from ingestible sensors are becoming more prevalent. Today, small mobile screens together with computer networks and various networked digital technologies (such as smartphones and tablets or ‘phablets’) make it possible for individuals, corporations and governments to accumulate, curate and distribute data and information on an unprecedented scale. Algorithms and big data are increasingly shaping our socio-cultural and technical relations and our everyday experiences. Important questions are arising that concern the human impacts of emerging digital technologies as the advent of ‘big data’ (and small data) technologies and social media have inexorably altered the boundaries between private and public life, and profoundly altered our sense of self.

The intention for this edited collection of original essays is to critically consider how the former techniques of connection to community (traditional health, education, cultural and leisure activities) are reconfigured through this changing landscape of digital media visibility, data agglomerations and personal engagement with an empirical digital self. Digital culture and communication are inevitably changing as media infrastructures, media practices and social environments become increasingly ‘datafied’.

The chapters in /Materializing Digital Futures: Touch, Movement, Sound and Vision/ orient to the inescapable fact that the underpinnings of a swiftly materializing digital future are so pervasive that we take them for granted. By way of debate and analysis around the concept of digital media artefacts and human identity, we circumnavigate the significant implications of living in a contemporary information-based society. Toward this critical exploration of the ‘the human’ in and outside the digital environment, the intention is to get beneath questions of: (1) Whether or not immersive technologies have been overestimated as consumer gadgets, entertainment media and the future of exhibition practices; (2) Whether the promises attached to ‘full immersion’ via mixed AR and VR have created tensions between the technologies and physical spaces of exhibitions, museums, education and health institutions and the like; (3) How the spaces between all-digital artworks and all-physical exhibition and learning spaces being negotiated; (4) How the design, marketing and use of digital applications and platforms might determine the ways in which the offline and online [digital] self is formed. A key point of difference in this book is that it looks at the application of digital futures within an industry context. We capture the important ways that key industry players are rapidly adjusting as they address change, asking: /What relations to the digital are you called into? What relations call to you?/

We invite submissions (essays between 6000-7000 words) that explore Digital Media in a global context and the transference of ideas between machines and humans. We hope to critically appraise digitalisation systems and their various purposes and impacts. The intention of this book is about the actualities and imaginaries of emerging digital technologies to illuminate the impact upon the physical, finding important connections between the digital and the material.

//

This edited collection//is deliberately interdisciplinary and we encourage proposals from researchers working in areas such as Digital Media Studies, Science and Technology Studies, Film and Television Studies, Creative Industries, Anthropology, Sociology, Performance Studies, Arts and Cultural Management to Health, Mediated Intelligence in Design and Architecture -- for whom the human is central. The themes that chapters might address include issues around:

  * Big and Small Data
  * Robotics, HCI, AI
  * Digital identities/ digital futures
  * Immersive technologies, practices, audiences and experiences
  * Health, ageing and wellbeing
  * Games and Digital Worlds
  * Datafication, agency and power
  * Ecologies of media industries
  * Data futures

Your submission should be emailed by 1 November 2019**to <(Toija.Cinque /at/ deakin.edu.au)>and include:

  * The name(s) of the author(s)
  * A concise and informative title
  * The affiliation(s) and address(es) of the author(s
  * The e-mail address, and telephone number(s) of the corresponding
    author:
  * A short bio (250 words)
  * Title of your work
  * Genre of your work
  * A 500-word description of your proposed work
  * A 200-word statement on your relation to digital cultures as it
    reflects the general themes and tensions of /Materializing Digital
    Futures, /as described above.

*Key dates*

Abstract submission:*1 November 2019 *

Notice of acceptance: *15 November 2019*

First Draft Submission: *2 April 2020 *

Submission: *1 October 2020*

If you have any enquiries, please direct them to (Toija.Cinque /at/ deakin.edu.au) <mailto:(Toija.Cinque /at/ deakin.edu.au)>