[Commlist] cfp Studies in World Cinema - A Critical Journal

Thu Jun 20 07:57:40 GMT 2019

Invitation for Articles -- forthcoming journal:
Studies in World Cinema
A Critical Journal
/
Studies in World Cinema: A Critical Journal/ offers a platform to examine, rethink and reinvent the notion of “world cinema”. What do we understand by “world cinema”, and how useful or enabling is this term? Taking the world as a space of signification in which we continually reproduce its meanings, this journal opens up inquiries about films and cinematic practices that engender novel senses of the world.

The journal welcomes research on traveling cinematic tropes, transnational practices, remakes and adaptations, translation cultures, migrant and diasporic films and film cultures, postcolonial and accented cinemas, collaborations and exchanges among filmmakers, co-productions and multinational filmmaking practices and networks, and early cinematic practices. Together we aim to develop a fruitful and more enriching understanding of our world cinema.

The first two issues of the journal will be dedicated to exploring broader issues in the field of world cinema. Special attention will be given to qualifying the notion of “world cinema” and to its historical transformations and contemporary renderings. In addition to papers touching on a myriad of issues in relation to world cinema(s), cinemas of different countries and regions and/or periods, we would be particularly interested in papers touching on the following subjects:

- the ontology and meaning(s) of world cinema
- the history and transformation of the notion of world cinema
- renderings of the world in cinema and other screen media
- alternatives to world cinema: global or international cinema
- the relationship between world cinema and transnational cinemas
- the senses of the world as an expanding process of peoples and cinemas
- the discourses of difference and power relations in world cinemas
- separations of the world and cinemas (north-south, center-periphery, developed-developing, west-rest, first, second, third, and fourth)
- films which question or touch on any of the above topics
- novel cinematic practices in relation to world television and online and social media

The journal’s inaugural issue will be published in 2020, with two issues per year.
https://brill.com/view/journals/swc/swc-overview.xml

Editor-in-chief
Savas Arslan, Bahçeşehir University, Turkey

Associate Editors
Ana Grgić, Monash University Malaysia, Malaysia
Olivia Khoo, Monash University, Australia
Jeremi Szaniawski, Emerson College, the Netherlands

Managing Editor
Emily Coolidge Toker, Harvard University, USA

Editorial Board
Dudley Andrew, Yale University, USA
Daniela Berghahn, Royal Holloway University of London, UK
Christine Gledhill, University of Leeds, UK
Dina Iordanova, University of St. Andrews, UK
Eva Jørholt, Copenhagen University, Denmark
Hamid Naficy, Northwestern University, USA
Richard Peña, Columbia University, USA