[Commlist] CFP: Wandering Games conference

Fri Feb 01 14:57:27 GMT 2019

We've been asked to extend the CFP deadline for the Wandering Games <http://wandering-games-conference.bangor.ac.uk/call-for-papers.php.en> conference at Bangor University and so: the new deadline is *February 15th*. Thank you so much for the excellent submissions we've received already—a fabulous mix of formats and topics that I cannot wait to see presented.

Conference precis:

What does it mean to be a wandering body in a game world? What does it say about the game? The world? The body? What can the act of wandering do? We seek proposals on wandering games from academics, game designers, and creative practitioners for a conference at Bangor University from July 10–12, 2019. Walking Simulators, the genre of videogame in which there are no points, goals, or win/loss conditions, have for the last several years served as a catalyst for (sometimes furious) debates about anti-game aesthetics, changing gamer demographics, and the radical potential of poetic spatial storytelling in videogames. From Myst to Gone Home, The Path to The Stanley Parable, what began as the derogatory sneer "Walking Simulator" has become a catch-all term for games that are interested in alternative modes of expression, drawing together considerations of embodiment, environment, orientation, and community.  We are interested in work, on Walking Simulators and their context, that focuses on some aspect of wandering in games but also could draw connections and intersections from long traditions of walking thought in performance, philosophy, pilgrimage, and protest.

The two keynotes will be Kate Craig, Environmental Artist at/ Fullbright/, and Dr. Kris Darby <https://www.hope.ac.uk/staffindex/staffindeximport/dr-kris-darby.html>, Lecturer in Drama and Performance Studies at Liverpool Hope University.

We welcome proposals for academic papers, game prototypes, or alternate format projects by *February 15th*. Papers will be considered for inclusion in a special issue of the Journal of Gaming & Virtual Worlds.