Archive for calls, May 2019

[Commlist] Workshop Digitalization and Religious Contact

Thu May 16 21:39:40 GMT 2019

MESSAGE

Are you doing research on digitalization and religious contact? Or do you have a general interest in learning more about methods and theories in media and religious studies to address the ethical and social consequences of digitalization? Then you might like to actively join the round table at our workshop and share information about your project. This is an opportunity for early career researchers to receive funding to come to Bochum (Germany) for a two-day workshop.

The workshop “*Digitalization and Religious Contact*” (_http://bit.ly/DigitalizationWS)_ will take place on *14-15 November 2019* at Ruhr University, in Bochum. It will be organized by two research centers: the Center for Religious Studies (CERES), which is an interdisciplinary and international center studying the dynamics of religious change and religious encounters in Europe and Asia (_www.ceres.rub.de <http://www.ceres.rub.de/>_); and the Center for Advanced Internet Studies (CAIS), a research center where scholars can study the opportunities and challenges of the digital transformation(http://bit.ly/CAISEvent).

During our workshop we want to address the following practical questions: How can scholars collect data about digital religion and analyze them? Which framework can better capture the role of the Internet in relation to religious contact? What kind of impact does digitalization have on religion, and how can it be analyzed?

The workshop will include presentations from leading scholars in the field, including Mona Abdel-Fadil (University of Oslo), Oren Golan (University of Haifa), Tim Hutchings (University of Nottingham), Mehmet Karacuka (Ege University), Stephen Philaja (Newman University), Susanne Stadlbauer (University of Colorado), Johanna Sumiala (University of Helsinki).

The second day will host the round table that will bring together senior researchers and early career scholars. We are willing to have early career scholars (including PhD students) who are interested in taking part in the round table.

If you want to participate in this round table, please send us your abstract (300-400 words) before *30 July 2019* (to: giulia.evolvi@rub.de_; nina.hahne@cais.nrw_). The abstract should sum up your current research and point out your interest in the workshop and the input you plan to give. Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.