Archive for calls, February 2018

[ecrea] CFP: African Women in the Media 2018

Mon Feb 26 20:53:44 GMT 2018

Please find below the Call for Papers for the African Women in the Media 2018 Conference:

*/African Women in the Media 2018/*
Proposals are invited for a two-day conference organised by Stringers Africa <http://www.stringersafrica.com/cfp-african-women-in-the-media-2018/>
Venue: University of Ibadan Conference Centre, Nigeria
Date: 21-22 June 2018

Following the success of the African Women in the Media 2017 symposium (#AWIM17), the 2018 conference continues the objective of bringing together media practitioners and scholars in the field of media and communications.

The conference will feature panel discussions, workshops, networking opportunities project presentations, Flashtalks and Pitch Zone hosted by commissioning editors from international and national media organisations, and much more. We will also be launching the AWiM production grant.

We welcome proposals for papers, panel discussions and practice presentations from both academic and industry speakers. As we celebrate the year of the woman, the theme for AWiM18 is *Visibility. *Similarly, as 17 Africa countries will be holding general/presidential/parliamentary elections in 2019, we are asking:

  * What are the gender differences in: political campaign coverage
    between male and female candidates; political advertising and
    campaign messages; and, media discourse on women issues during
    elections?
  * Fake News, Trump and Misinformation: how might/are news media in
    African countries responding in preparation for 2019 elections?
  * Press Freedom and security post-Facebook: does the answer lay in
    emerging technologies (e.g. wearables, Blockchain, AI etc.)?

Perspectives may include, but are not limited to:

  * Media and Technology
  * Journalism
  * Film
  * Communications
  * Branding
  * Public Relations
  * Gender Studies
  * Political Communication
  * Cultural Studies
  * Media Education

Some key topical areas may include, but are not limited to:

  * Body image
  * Representation
  * Visual Storytelling
  * Feminism and political participation
  * Women, violence and media
  * Intersectionality
  * Diaspora
  * African feminism and femininity
  * Gendering construction and production practices
  * Identity
  * Transnational and ethnic media
  * Media Entrepreneurship and leadership
  * Fame
  * Portrayal of women's health
  * Women empowerment and changing perceptions
  * Environment reporting
  * Humour
  * Stereotype
  * Gender consciousnesses and media education

Please send abstracts of 150 words including a short bio by Monday 26 March 2018 to: Dr Yemisi Akinbobola ((yemisi.akinbobola /at/ bcu.ac.uk)) This call for papers is also available here. <http://www.stringersafrica.com/cfp-african-women-in-the-media-2018/>