Archive for calls, December 2017

[ecrea] CFP: Fan Studies Network 2018 Conference

Sat Dec 09 09:08:37 GMT 2017

*CALL FOR PAPERS: Fan Studies Network 2018 Conference*

**

*Fan Studies Network 2018 Conference*
*29^th  & 30^th June 2018**
*School of Journalism, Media & Cultural Studies (JOMEC), Cardiff University, UK**

**
**

*Keynote Speakers:*

*Dr Mark Duffett, Reader, University of Chester, UK
Professor C. Lee Harrington, Miami University, USA *

*
*

*As our global network continues to grow, with inaugural conferences held for FSN Australasia in 2017 and FSN North America hosting an event in October 2018, we***are delighted to announce that the sixth annual Fan Studies Network Conference is taking place at the School of Journalism, Media and Cultural Studies (JOMEC) at Cardiff University in the UK. Offering a diverse two-day programme during June 2018, the conference will find its home in a city already well-known as a destination for fans of television shows such as /Doctor Who, Torchwood, /and/ Sherlock/. The conference will continue FSN’s long-standing tradition of offering an enthusiastic space for interdisciplinary researchers at all career stages to connect, share resources, and further develop their research ideas. In addition to panel presentations, the two days will feature a variety of social events, workshop discussions, and our famous speed-geeking sessions.

We are delighted to welcome Dr Mark Duffett and Professor C. Lee Harrington as our keynote speakers. Mark is the author of /Understanding Fandom/ (Bloomsbury, 2013) and /Elvis Presley/ (Equinox Press, 2017) and editor of /Popular Music Fandom/ (Routledge, 2014) and /Fan Identities and Practices in Context/ (Routledge, 2016). C. Lee Harrington, with Denise D. Bielby, is the author of /Soap Fans: Pursuing Pleasure and Making Meaning in Everyday Life/ (Temple University Press, 1995) and /Global TV: Exporting Television and Culture in the World Market/ (New York University Press, 2008). She is also the co‐editor of several anthologies on popular culture, fan studies, soap opera, and aging and media. We are very excited to have both speakers as keynotes for FSN2018.

We invite abstracts of no more than 300 words for papers that address any aspect of fandom or fan studies. We also welcome collated submissions for pre-constituted panels of four papers. We encourage new members, in all stages of study, to the network and welcome proposals for presentations on, but not limited to, the following possible topics:

·         - Links between fandom, participatory culture and the political moment

·         - Forms of anti-fandom or non-fandom

·         - The intersections between celebrity and fandom

·         - Fan activism in response to contemporary political/world events

·         - The use of social media and its language (e.g. memes, hashtags, GIFs)

·         - Fannish places and spaces, both physical and virtual

·         - Fandom and material cultures

·         - Music fandom

·         - The ethics of studying participatory culture and fandom

·         - Fan Studies methodologies

·         - Sports fandom

·         - Transcultural and transnational fandom

·         - Fandom and race and ethnicity

·         - Producer/fan interactions and relationships

·         - Fandom and controversies

We also invite short abstracts (100-200 words) from anyone wishing to present as part of our popular ‘speed geeking’ session. This would involve each speaker presenting a short discussion on a relevant topic of their choosing to a number of small groups, and then receiving instantaneous feedback, making it ideal for presenting in-progress or undeveloped ideas. If you have any questions about this format of presentation, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Please send any abstracts/enquires to: (fsnconference /at/ gmail.com) by the end of* Monday 12^th  February 2018.* Please include up to three keywords for your submission, which will help us to place your paper in an appropriate panel, and a short biographical note.

You can join the discussion about the event on Twitter using #FSN2018, follow us @FanStudies or visit http://www.fanstudies.org <http://www.fanstudies.org/>.

Conference Organisers: Lucy Bennett and Tom Phillips (FSN chairs)
Bertha Chin, Bethan Jones, Richard McCulloch, Rebecca Williams (FSN board)