Archive for calls, August 2010

[ecrea] Fashion + Street Culture Conference at Yale

Thu Aug 19 21:57:41 GMT 2010

>The Urban Catwalk: Fashion and Street Culture, April 23 2011 | Yale
>University |  New Haven, Connecticut
>
>300 word abstracts and bios due by: October 15th, 2010
>
>Please email all questions and abstracts to madison moore,
>(madison.moore /at/ yale.edu)
>
>What is street style, and what is the relationship between style,
>"the street," and popular culture? How have the Internet, digital
>cameras and other technologies impacted how we understand the way we
>dress? How old is street style, and why do so many people care about
>the way other people dress? In what ways does street style engage
>with broader issues of race, class, gender, and sexuality?
>
>The Urban Catwalk: Fashion and Street Culture, a one-day symposium
>at Yale University, aims to investigate and openly discuss the
>relationships between street style and identity. We are interested
>in papers that approach street style from a contemporary lens, but
>also encourage papers with more of an historical perspective.
>
>Every character in a work of fiction tells a story, and more often
>than not, the clothes they wear are as crucial to their
>personalities and interests as to their internal development in the
>plot. Whether high end or mass market, fashion is a daily
>performance of identities and subjectivities. Street fashion tells a
>personal narrative about one's dreams, fantasies, fears and
>struggles. From Marie Antoinette to Lady Gaga, and from Napoleon
>Bonaparte to Prince, fashion is used as an instrument of rebellion
>and commentary on social norms.
>
>Over the course of a single day, The Urban Catwalk will partner 20
>minute academic presentations from a range of disciplines. We are
>committed to a conference that blends the intellectual with an ear
>to the ground. In this way, we will hold a panel discussion with
>editors from a number of major fashion publications about how they
>understand the intellectual work street style does. We close the
>conference with a special street style fashion show at Artspace
>Gallery in Downtown New Haven, where real-people models will
>showcase their street style.
>
>We solicit rigorous, 20-minute presentations treating various
>aspects of street fashion.
>
>Topics may include:
>
>- Street style and Contemporary art
>- Dandies
>- The flaneur
>- Style blogs and the Internet
>- Urban versus suburban style
>- Hipsters and neo-bohemia
>- Goth, punk, and skate culture
>- Street style and hip hop culture
>- Fashion magazines and the street
>- Male androgyny; men in high heels
>- Street style in media
>- How to figure out a style persona; rules and boundaries
>- Lady Gaga, Madonna, Michael Jackson, Andre J., and other pop icons
>- Japanese street fashion
>- Street style in literature
>- LGBTQ identity and street style
>- Models
> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885