Archive for calls, August 2010

[ecrea] CFP: Communication and Sustainability Special Issue of Environmental Communication Journal

Thu Aug 19 21:56:24 GMT 2010

>Call for Manuscripts for a Special Issue of
>Environmental Communication: A Journal of Nature
>and Culture Volume 5, Issue 1 (2012)
>
>Communication and Sustainability:  Exploring
>Intersections of Science, Policy, Action, and Culture
>
>Editors: Harald Heinrichs (Leuphana Universität
>Lüneburg) and Laura Lindenfeld (University of Maine)
>
>This special issue emerges from the perspective
>that communication research and practice should
>play a more prominent role in sustainability
>science.  The collection of essays will consider
>the ways in which communication scholarship and
>practice can and should contribute to
>sustainability science as part of larger global
>sustainable development efforts.
>
>RATIONALE
>
>Coxâ¬"s articulation of environmental
>communication as a crisis discipline recognizes
>the constitutive and normative role of
>communication in the definition of environmental
>problems, and it provides an ethical basis for
>recognizing, predicting, and addressing
>environmental problems (2007).  As such, this
>articulation calls for different ways of
>thinking about and doing communication.  Coxâ¬"s
>call to action suggests a model for
>environmental communication that features
>innovative linkages between research and
>practice as well as increased collaboration with
>other fields.  Whether defined as the process of
>linking the production of knowledge with action,
>collaborative learning, or the co-construction
>of knowledge, this approach to environmental
>communication scholarship aims to render the
>research process more salient, legitimate, and
>credible to stakeholders and communities who
>require research for decision making.
>
>Sustainability science is an emerging
>trans-disciplinary area that draws upon similar
>assumptions about the criticality of
>action-oriented scholarship in addressing global
>environmental concerns and their linkages to
>social and economic activities, as well as the
>need to bring scholars, communities, and
>stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
>together.  Part of a larger sustainability
>studies project, sustainability science aims to
>develop, shape, and maintain resilient
>ecological, economic, and social systems through
>an inter- and trans-disciplinary,
>action-oriented approach to research and praxis
>(see, for example, issues of the new journal
>Sustainability Science, published by Springer).
>
>The goals of sustainability science converge
>with the type of practice-oriented research that
>many environmental communication scholars do.
>Yet, communication as a field has often been
>underrepresented in sustainability science
>research teams and programs around the
>world.  This special issue provides an
>opportunity to make a case for the centrality of
>environmental communication in advancing ⬠
>and, when needed, in critiquing ⬠
>sustainability science and the global sustainability studies initiative.
>

>CALL FOR PAPERS

> [...]

New Book:
Trans-Reality Television
The Transgression of Reality, Genre, Politics, and Audience.
Lexington. (Sofie Van Bauwel & Nico Carpentier eds.)
http://www.lexingtonbooks.com/Catalog/SingleBook.shtml?command=Search&db=^DB/CATALOG.db&eqSKUdata=0739131885