Archive for calls, June 2009

[ecrea] CFP Sexualities conference

Fri Jun 05 07:35:42 GMT 2009

ANNUAL CONFERENCE OF THE BRIGHTON AND SUSSEX SEXUALITIES NETWORK 2009

'THE ACADEMY & ACTIVISM' - CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS

The third annual conference of the Brighton and Sussex Sexualities Network (BSSN), takes place on Thursday 24th September 2009. The one-day conference is jointly hosted by Brighton and Sussex Universities and will be held this year at the University of Brighton. BSSN is an inter-university research network aimed at supporting researchers working on issues of sexualities within the universities of Brighton and Sussex, the wider Sussex area, and beyond.

While not wishing to curb the diverse range of submissions we have received in previous years, this year the conference committee are particularly interested in research papers and panel proposals organised around the loose theme of sexualities research and activism.

Proposals might wish to address any of the following questions:

* Can academic sexualities research and sexual activism work together? * What are the implications for researchers who also identify as activists? * How can we bring sexualities activism into the seminar room? * How can we bring sexualities activism into the seminar room? * Do universities support or hinder activist work? * What are the challenges of researching activism from 'within'? Or from 'outside'?

This list is by no means exhaustive and we encourage submissions that address a broad range of questions current within sexualities research.

We welcome abstracts of app. 500 words for conventional papers (lasting 15 minutes) together with other critical interventions including posters, presentations, workshops and performances. Although the core of the event will be based on the work of researchers from the Sussex region, submissions from further afield are welcomed, and links to other research networks and areas actively encouraged. BSSN aims to bring together researchers from a range of disciplines and from a variety of academic and non-academic backgrounds. Therefore contributions should be designed with a diverse audience in mind.

SUBMISSIONS

Please submit 500-word paper and poster abstracts, and full details of workshops and discussions to (bssn /at/ brighton.ac.uk) by Friday 17th July 2009

Acceptance details will be distributed by Friday 24th July, 2009

Dr Kate O'Riordan
c/o Center for Cultural Studies
118 Kerr Hall
University of California