[ecrea] Journal CFP reminder 'Beyond Broadcasting: TV for the Twenty-First Century'

Thu Mar 29 05:09:57 GMT 2007

>[apologies for any cross-posting]
>
>**Reminder: Abstracts due 1 May 2007**
>
>Call For Papers: 'Media International Australia' Issue no. 126, Feb 2008
>'Beyond Broadcasting: TV for the Twenty-First Century'
>
>Theme Editors: Graham Meikle and Sherman Young
>
>The broadcast era is over. The twentieth-century broadcast model of
>centralised, one-way transmission of pre-packaged content to large,
>simultaneous audiences is increasingly challenged and complemented by newer
>approaches. Content, distribution channels, geographical constraints,
>production values, business models, regulatory approaches and cultural
>habits are changing as the new media technologies empower users in
>unexpected ways and increasingly recast TV as something that audiences
>create as well as watch. Cheap hardware and software allow anyone to produce
>original or Rmashed-up¹ videos. The ubiquity of camera-phones and CCTV
>redefines reality television. Higher-quality resources bring near-broadcast
>quality to video blogs and citizen journalism. Affordable editing resources
>allow creative re-mixes of low-brow soap-operas. And sites such as YouTube
>demonstrate the online demand for such non-traditional video productions.
>
>Such media forms are unlikely to replace television as we know it. But they
>will displace it. This issue of 'Media International Australia' invites
>contributions that are able to push forward our thinking about television.
>The following gives some indication of the range of possible topics, but is
>not intended to rule out other questions.
>
>* What is television in the twenty-first century? Should our definition of
>television change? If television is considered a cultural habit, what new
>habits are emerging?
>
>* Does television require an *industry*? How are audiences reinventing
>themselves as producers?
>
>* What are the relationships between free to air, pay TV, public
>broadcasting and emerging new formats?
>
>* What are the impacts of new distribution models, both legal and illegal?
>
>* What impacts do the new technologies and habits have on traditional
>institutions, policies and regulatory frameworks?
>
>Papers should be approximately 4-5000 words and comply with the MIA style
>guide, available at <http://www.emsah.uq.edu.au/mia/index.html>. Further
>information is available from Dr Graham Meikle <(graham.meikle /at/ mq.edu.au)> or
>Dr Sherman Young <(sherman.young /at/ mq.edu.au)>.
>
>Abstracts should be sent to the theme editors by 1 May  2007.
>
>Following proposal assessments, papers for refereeing will be required by 1
>August 2007, with any revisions to be completed by 15 November 2007 for
>publication in February 2008.
>
>About the journal:
>
>Media International Australia (MIA) publishes new scholarly and applied
>research on the media, telecommunications, and the cultural industries,
>and the policy regimes within which they operate
> [...]

Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
NEW BOOK: Researching media, democracy and participation.
The intellectual work of the 2006 European media
and communication doctoral summer school.
Available at: http://young.meso.ee/?q=node/54
ICA 2007 Conference [Theme] website @
http://www.vub.ac.be/icatheme07/
!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!
Free ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School Book
"Researching media, democracy and participation" at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/
---
ECREA Book Series publication
"Reclaiming the Media"
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn81841501635
with in the body of the message (NOT in the subject): unsubscribe ecrea
Postal address: ECREA - P.O. Box 106, B-1210 Brussels 21, Belgium
Email: (ecrea /at/ ulb.ac.be)