[ecrea] [ECREA NEWS] Transforming Audiences conference

Tue Mar 13 16:23:17 GMT 2007

>Dear Colleagues,
>
>A quick note about the Transforming Audiences
>conference we are organising at the University
>of Westminster. The deadline for abstracts is 20
>April. Please do forward this message to interested parties.
>
>I hope to see many of you at the conference in
>September, sipping a glass of wine and
>celebrating the launch of two new books on media
>audiences by myself and David Gauntlett.
>
>all the best,
>
>Annette
>

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE: Announcement and call for papers
>
>TRANSFORMING AUDIENCES
>Identity | Creativity | Everyday Life
>
>6­7 September 2007, CAMRI, University of Westminster
>
>http://www.transformingaudiences.org.uk
>
>in association with the Audience and Reception
>Studies section of the European Communication
>Research and Education Association (ECREA), and
>the Popular Communication Division of the
>International Communication Association (ICA).
>
>'Audience' is now widely recognised as a concept
>in crisis. The traditional notion of families
>gathered around the television set has crumbled,
>to be replaced by much more complex models of
>dispersed and fragmented audiences, 'users', or
>'participants', who may take the role of
>producer as well as audience, and who use
>traditional and new technologies in a mix of
>communication, consumption and creativity.
>
>At the same time, audiences survive. Today's
>diverse range of media forms continue to have
>audiences, and media theorists continue to
>produce important work about the connections
>between media and identities, everyday life, and
>
>The approach of this conference is one which
>understands audiences as engaged in dynamic and
>creative practices. Such an approach is not
>located around any particular paradigm, or
>method, but is rather multidisciplinary and
>multimethod in its understanding of audience
>research. Through looking at dynamic practices
>we can understand how audiences engage with and
>reflect on the changing nature of contemporary media.
>
>Plenary speakers will include Sonia Livingstone
>(London School of Economics) and Joke Hermes
>(Inholland University and University of Amsterdam).
>
>Confirmed speakers include Martin Barker, Göran
>Bolin, John Corner, Knut Lundby, Peter Lunt, and
>Maire Messenger Davies, Lothar Mikos.
>
>Conference organisers: Caroline Dover, David
>Gauntlett, Annette Hill, and Roza Tsagarousianou
>(CAMRI, School of Media, Arts and Design,
>University of Westminster), with Geoffroy
>Patriarche, Chair, ECREA Audience and Reception
>Studies section, and Lynn Schofield Clark,
>Chair, ICA Popular Communication Division.
>
>CALL FOR PAPERS
>See full details at www.transformingaudiences.org.uk
>Deadline for proposals: 20 April 2007
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> [...]
!!!!!!NEW!!!!!!!!
Free ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School Book
"Researching media, democracy and participation" at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/
---
ECREA Book Series publication
"Reclaiming the Media"
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/ppbooks.php?isbn81841501635
with in the body of the message (NOT in the subject): unsubscribe ecrea
Postal address: ECREA - P.O. Box 106, B-1210 Brussels 21, Belgium
Email: (ecrea /at/ ulb.ac.be)