Archive for calls, May 2006

[ecrea] Culture Machine New Project: Call for Contributions

Mon May 22 12:52:47 GMT 2006

>Call for Participation
>
>Culture Machine is looking for contributions to a digital archive for
>cultural studies texts and related materials. The archive, called
>CSeARCH, which stands for
>Cultural Studies e-Archive, is completely free to download from and
>upload into - there are no subscription fees or access charges. You can
>find it at:
>
>http://www.culturemachine.net/csearch
>
>This will let you browse the archive as well as read and download its
>contents for free. It already contains over 500 books, book chapters,
>journal articles,
>interviews, lectures and so on, from Abbas and Bowman, through Graham
>and Poster, to Williams and Zizek.
>
>To upload work into the archive go to the 'Submit' page. Fill in the
>brief details and you'll then be sent a login name and password via
>e-mail together with a direct
>link. Click on the link and you'll be there - no need to login at that
>point the first time. (The password just ensures no one but you can edit
>your entries.) It's really
>very fast and easy.
>
>We realise it's going to take a little time to grow. But one of the
>ideas behind open access archives of this kind is that if everyone
>deposits a digital copy of their
>published material in the archive - and this includes their own current
>research, not just early out of print material from the history of
>cultural studies or from 'big
>names' (although CSeARCH contains those as well) - then it means that,
>in this case, all the cultural studies research is available for
>students, teachers, lecturers and
>researchers to use anywhere in the world, for free, for ever (as opposed
>to being restricted just to those individuals and institutions who can
>afford to pay for access
>to it in the form of journal subscriptions, books cover prices,
>interlibrary loans, photocopying charges etc., as is the case now).
>
>Obviously anything that is already in digital form, be it Word, pdf and
>so on, can be uploaded easily. If anyone does have early cultural
>studies texts, including out of
>print books, book chapters, journal editions or journal articles they
>can scan in or otherwise make available, that would be great, too.
>
>However, the idea is also to include recent and even current work, both
>already published and that which is awaiting publication.
>
>More information about the archive, including how to include books, book
>chapters and journal articles which have already been published
>elsewhere, or which are
>due to be so in the future, without infringing copyright, is available
>in:
>
>'The Cultural Studies e-Archive Project (Original Pirate Copy)', Culture
>Machine 5, 2003
>http://culturemachine.tees.ac.uk/Cmach/Backissues/j005/Articles/hall.htm
>

>But any questions or problems just send me an email:

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
ECREA Communication Doctoral Summer School information at:
http://www.comsummerschool.org/ &
http://www.ecrea.eu/summer.html
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18