Archive for calls, April 2005

[eccr] Cultures of British Television Drama Conference

Wed Apr 20 15:26:59 GMT 2005

>Please find below an outline of the papers and panels at the Cultures of
>British Television Drama conference, University of Reading, 13-15
>September, 2005. More details and a booking form can be found at:
>
>www.rdg.ac.uk/fd/research/cbtdconference.htm
>
>Please email me ((h.m.wheatley /at/ rdg.ac.uk)) or Leah Panos, conference
>administrator ((l.panos /at/ rdg.ac.uk)) with any queries.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Helen Wheatley

>Cultures of British Television Drama, 13-15 September, 2005
>
>Opening keynote panel - Cultures of British Television Drama: Histories -
>Dr. Jason Jacobs (Griffith) & Prof. John Caughie (University of Glasgow)
>
>Closing keynote panel ­ Cultures of British Television Drama: Drama
>Today - Prof. Robin Nelson (Manchester Metropolitan University) & Prof.
>Christine Geraghty (University of Glasgow)
>
>Plenary ­ Industrial change and TV drama aesthetics
>
>John Ellis (Royal Holloway, University of London): The cost of TV drama
>and production values
>
>Mark Fremaux (Edge Hill College): The Interaction between the film and
>television industries and the use of film for television production
>
>Julia Hallam (University of Liverpool): Equal Opportunists: The rise of
>the writer producer in the 1990s
>

>Plenary ­ New approaches to social realism
>
>Karen Shepherdson (Canterbury Christ Church University College):
>Dramatisation and Appropriation of the Demotic Voice.
>
>Stephen Lacey (Manchester Metropolitan University/University of Glamorgan)
>
>Lez Cooke (Manchester Metropolitan University): New Wave in British
>Television Drama
>

>Panel 1a: Genres of fantasy, 1960-82
>
>Jonathan Bignell (University of Reading): Transatlantic Style: Television
>and Mise-en-Scene in Filmed UK Action Series
>
>Helen Wheatley (University of Reading/University of Warwick): The house
>that bled to death: domestic horror in the 1970s
>
>Nickianne Moody (Liverpool John Moores University): Quatermass and the
>Representation of Social Malaise for a Popular Audience
>

>Panel 1b: Questions of Authorship
>
>Andy Willis (University of Salford): Beyond Days of Hope: Jim Allen and
>the history of television drama
>
>Kara McKechnie (University of Leeds): Hopeless in Halifax, helpless in
>Hartlepool: The Writer in Disguise - Alan Bennetts and Stephen Frears
>collaborations for LWT
>
>Peter Billingham (University of Portsmouth): I ad Popular Audience
>Ratings in the back of my cab, yer know! Reflections upon the issues of
>concepts of the Popular, the Serious and the Single Author in
>British television drama in the context of Tony Marchants Take Me Home.
>(BBC 1, 1989)
>

>Panel 2a: Producing childrens drama
>
>Karen Lury (University of Glasgow): Shoebox Zoo (BBC Scotland/Shoebox
>Production Co-production, 2004-)
>
>Val Williamson (Edge Hill College): Starting from Scratch: Watching The
>Tribe evolve with Channel Five, 1999-2003

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info