[eccr] Call for papers: Heteronormativity - a FruitfulConcept?

Tue Sep 21 08:17:44 GMT 2004

> > Conference to be held in Trondheim, Norway, June 2 - 4, 2005:
> >
> > Heteronormativity - A Fruitful Concept?
> >
> > Heterosexuality has been taken for granted as a normative instance in
> > organizing sexual life as well as a pre-scription for how gender and
> > gender relations should be practised in society. The claim that
> > heterosexuality is natural has been retold through various cultural
> > expressions and heterosexual discourses have been institutionalised as
> > particular forms of practice in family relations, identity formations
> > and working life. Research has contributed in reproducing
> > heterosexuality as the dominant norm and the role of heterosexuality
>is
> > ignored in social theory despite its prominent place in public debates
> > on topics like homosexuality, pregnancy and adoption. In the same way
>the
> > naturalisation of heterosexuality is ignored in reception studies of
> > film, literature and other media, too.
> >
> > The goal of the conference is to challenge and explore the analytical
> > potential of the concept heteronormativity. How do the theoretical
> > implications of the term heteronormativityopen up for new questions?
> > What are the theoretical implications and effects of heterosexual
> > expectations in different contexts and historical periods? How can new
> > understandings of heteronormativityhelp refine and deepen feminist
> > analysis of gender relations? And can analytical tools like
> > heteronormativity be utilised in the humanities and in social sciences
> > alike?
> >
> > In the conference the focus will be on discussions of the potentials
>of
> > the concept of heteronormativity to generate new knowledge. This
> > affects sexuality as sociocultural systems as well as discussions on
> > how desire and erotic practices are structured. The dimension of
> > heteronormativity as homophobia will also be addressed. In a time with
> > increased attention on globalising processes we may ask how (Western)
> > hegemonic narratives travel through film, literature and other media.
> > What are the subversive potentials and consequences of this increased
>volume
> > of mediation of heteronormative discourses? What happens to the
> > counter-discourses? Heteronormativity has long been expressed and
> > reproduced through the reception of film and literature. What are the
> > effects of this in the constructions of the literary canons?
> >
> > The destabilisation of heteronormativity represents challenges for
> > researchers in many different research fields. This conference
>welcomes
> > interdisciplinary work as well as disciplinary based approaches from
> > the social sciences and the humanities.
> >
> > Keynote Speakers:
> > Stevi Jackson, Professor, University of York
> > Don Kulick, Professor, University of Stockholm and New York University
> > Halvor Moxnes, Professor, Universitetet i Oslo
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: 5B.454
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info