[eccr] CFP: INDIGENOUS WOMEN AND FEMINISM

Thu Sep 16 08:09:59 GMT 2004

>CALL FOR PAPERS
>INDIGENOUS WOMEN AND FEMINISM: CULTURE, ACTIVISM, POLITICS
>
>August 25-28, 2005
>University of Alberta
>Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
>
>Keynote Speakers:
>Minnie Grey, Chief Negotiator for Nunavik Self-Government, Makivik
>Corporation
>Aileen Moreton-Robinson, Australian Studies Centre, University of
>Queensland
>Rebecca Tsosie, College of Law, University of Arizona
>
>Developments in feminist theory and practice since the late 1980s and
>1990s have enabled scholars to recognize how nationality, race, class,
>sexuality, and ethnicity inform axes of gender differentiation among
>women as a social class. Despite these interventions, indigenous women
>and feminist issues remain undertheorized within contemporary feminist
>critical theory. Although presumed to fall within normative definitions
>of women of colour and postcolonial feminism, indigenous feminism
>remains an important site of gender struggle that also engages the
>crucial issues of cultural identity, nationalism, and decolonization.
>At the same time, the growing legal recognition of the rights of
>indigenous peoples to cultural and political autonomy has made
>increasingly important questions of indigenous women and their work on
>behalf of civil rights and sovereignty. With such intersections in
>mind, we invite paper and round table proposals for an international,
>interdisciplinary conference focused on indigenous feminism and its
>defining goals and features. Topics may include but are not limited to
>the following:
>
>· indigenous feminism as critical practice
>· indigenous feminism and literary/performance art
>· historical constructions of indigenous feminist work
>· strategic alliances within indigenous feminism
>· non-native women and indigenous feminism
>· critical intersections between indigenous feminism and women of
>colour feminism
>· uses of indigenous feminism in the dominant culture
>· indigenous feminism and the ?post-feminist? state
>· gender politics and indigenous feminism
>· indigenous collectives and feminist alliances
>· interdisciplinarity and indigenous feminism
>
>Papers will be no more than twenty minutes in length. Submissions for
>round table and panel presentations should include an abstract for each
>paper. Please send 250 word proposals and brief biographical
>description by electronic submission to
><mailto:(csuzack /at/ ualberta.ca)>(csuzack /at/ ualberta.ca). Deadline for
>submissions is October 15, 2004.
>
>Please direct enquiries to any one of the conference organizers:
>Jean Barman (<mailto:(Jean.Barman /at/ ubc.ca)>(Jean.Barman /at/ ubc.ca))
>Shari Huhndorf
>(<mailto:(sharih /at/ darkwing.uoregon.edu)>(sharih /at/ darkwing.uoregon.edu))
>Jeanne Perreault (<mailto:(perreaul /at/ ucalgary.ca)>(perreaul /at/ ucalgary.ca))
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info