[eccr] CFP- the Fibreculture Journal - Mobility, New Social Intensities, and the Coordinates of Digital Networks, 2004

Wed Jun 30 13:08:15 GMT 2004

>Call for Papers - the Fibreculture Journal - Mobility, New Social
>Intensities, and the Coordinates of Digital Networks, 2004
>
>(please circulate)
>

>http://journal.fibreculture.org/
>
>:: fibreculture:: has established itself as Australasia's leading forum
>for discussion of internet theory, criticism, and research. The
>Fibreculture Journal is a peer reviewed journal that explores the
>issues and ideas of concern and interest to both the Fibreculture
>network and wider social formations.
>
>Papers are invited for the 'Mobility, New Social Intensities and the
>Coordinates of Digital Networks' Issue of the Fibreculture Journal, to
>be published late in 2004/early in 2005. The issue will be co-edited by
>Larissa Hjorth and Andrew Murphie.
>
>There are guidelines for the format and submission of contributions at
>http://journal.fibreculture.org <http://journal.fibreculture.org/> .
>These guidelines need to be followed in all cases. Contributions should
>be sent electronically, as attachments, to Andrew Murphie at
><(a.murphie /at/ unsw.edu.au)>, or Larissa Hjorth at
><(larissahjorth /at/ hotmail.com)>.
>
>The deadline for submissions is September 22, 2004.
>
>MOBILITY, NEW SOCIAL INTENSITIES, AND THE COORDINATES OF DIGITAL
>NETWORKS
>
>  From stirrups to satellites, the invention of new forms of
>technically-assisted mobility has always created new intensities within
>the social. Each invention has also required a new idea of what it
>might be to be human, along with new tensions as older cultural
>practices and social forms are challenged.
>
>The contemporary mobility of digital networks is no exception. This
>issue of the Fibreculture Journal will be concerned with documenting,
>and thinking about, the new mobile intensities allowed by digital
>networks.
>
>We are very interested in receiving contributions dealing with mobile
>telephony. However, we are also interested in contributions that deal
>with related or other forms of digital mobility. In addition to mobile
>telephony, contributions might include discussions of wireless
>networking, the folding of the Internet into other technical networks,
>or the complexity of relations between older and newer social networks
>when both are brought into the coordinates of digital networks.
>
>* How does mobility change these networks? How are relations within
>these networks transformed?
>* What new forms of social and cultural expression are made available
>by the new mobilities?
>* How are older forms of social regulation, discipline and control
>attempting to adapt to the new mobilities?
>* Can we still talk of "the social" in the same manner as we used to?
>What kinds of social theory are adequate/inadequate to the new social
>intensities of mobility? Does social theory need to be re-invented in
>the light of new mobile multitudes?
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info