[eccr] CFP: New Research for New Media - Innovative Research Methodologies :: extended deadline April 30 and confirmed scientific board

Wed Apr 14 06:19:01 GMT 2004

>Call for papers and participation: extended deadline April 30 and confirmed
>scientific board
>
>NEW RESEARCH FOR NEW MEDIA: INNOVATIVE RESEARCH METHODOLOGIES
>
>Second edition - September 30th to October 2nd 2004
>Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Tarragona (Catalonia, Spain)
>
>Abstract submission extended deadline: April 30, 2004
>Participant application deadline: June 15, 2004
>
>Panel moderators / scientific board:
>Opening Speech: Nicholas Jankowski (University of Nijmegen, Netherlands)
>Ethnograpy: Chris Paterson (University of San Francisco, USA)
>Content and discourse analysis: Susan Herring (Indiana University, USA)
>Quantitative research: Vicenç Meléndez (Idescat, Catalonia)
>Historical research: Patrice Flichy (Université Marne-la-Vallée, France)
>Research ethics: Bruce Henderson (Colorado University, USA)
>
>Organizers:
>Institute for New Media Studies at the University of Minnesota
>Communication Department of the Universitat Rovira i Virgili
>
>Info and application form:
>http://www.inms.umn.edu/convenings/newresearch_2004/main.htm
>
>==================================
>
>DETAILED INFO
>
>New media offer both new research techniques and new communication arenas
>to be
>studied. This Symposium will bring together researchers who a) use new media
>technologies to further their existing research methodologies or b) use
>innovative research methodologies (or rethink traditional methods) to further
>their research into any aspect of new media. Perspectives from around the
>world
>and from several disciplines will meet in a dialog with the goal of sharing
>experiences.
>
>The Institute for New Media Studies at the University of Minnesota and the
>Communication Department of the Universitat Rovira i Virgili have joined
>efforts
>to offer researchers an engaging environment in which to reflect on the
>craft of
>new media research. Invited chair persons will summarize the state of the art
>and selected papers will be presented describing the methodological procedures
>of actual research projects. Symposium participants will serve as discussants,
>elevating the examination of these techniques and their implications for
>research.
>
>After a successful and exciting first edition at the University of Minnesota,
>USA, the Symposium moves to Europe with the aim of broadening the research
>traditions sharing experiences. The goal is to provide an examination of
>current
>practices and an opportunity for reflection on future directions new media
>research methods might take. Panel participants will be selected based on
>current research they have conducted. Symposium participants will be selected
>through application to the event. We will look for a mix of highly
> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrijheidslaan 17 - B-1081 Brussel - Belgium
T: ++ 32 (0)2-412.42.78
F: ++ 32 (0)2/412.42.00
Office: 4/0/18
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
European Consortium for Communication Research
Web: http://www.eccr.info