Archive for calls, July 2003

[eccr] ZKM/Symposium/Hierarchies of Communication

Thu Jul 03 08:47:44 GMT 2003

>ZKM | Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe
>ZKM | Center for Art and Media Karlsruhe
>2003-06-30
>

>H i e r a r c h i e s  o f  C o m m u n i c a t i o n
>
>Friday ­ Sunday, July 4 - 6, 2003
>ZKM-Media Theatre
>Tickets: 1 day ­ EUR 12/8; 3 days ­ EUR 30/20
>
>A three-day symposium in English organized by the Future University in
>Hakodate (Japan) and ZKM Karlsruhe
>
>Ever since Claude Shannon and Warren Weaver developed the "mathematical
>theory of communication, communication has become a hot potato of
>scholarly debate. This has put naturalistic and cultural perspectives on
>a collision course. There are more than 100 different definitions of
>communication whereby their most hotly disputed component is
>"information ­ the entity which is presumably exchanged during
>communication.
>
>Scientists and artists will meet at this inter-disciplinary and
>inter-institutional symposium in order to discuss this theme in light of
>both systems and cultural theory. For many adherents of systems theory,
>communication by and large involves interaction between linked systems,
>i.e., a concept which, in principle, can be used on different scales. It
>is irrelevant here whether the interaction between molecules can be
>called communication. That said, language usage suggests that even
>primitive organisms, like bacteria, practice communication. Does
>communication take place in the networked structure of linked neurons in
>the brain or does communication first take place between creatures that
>are equipped with a brain?
>
>Cultural scientists reject this reduction of the concept of
>communication to known structures of interaction. They point to "speech
>and "meaning as it has historically developed within society. In such
>discussions there will always be discrepancies and unanswered questions.
>Nevertheless it is the declared intention of the symposium to make a
>reconciliatory contribution to the subject of communication.
>
>A book containing the contributions to the symposium can be purchased at
>the beginning of the event for EUR 19.00.
>
>Schedule of Events
>
>Friday, July 4, 2003
>
>11:00 a.m. Welcoming remarks
>
>11:30 a.m. L e h a n  R a m s a y: Chasing World Orders
>
>1:00 p.m. Break
>
>2:30 p.m. H a n s  D i e b n e r: Operational Hermeneutics
>
>4:00 p.m. Yoshiaki Mima, Ken-ichi Kimura, Hidekatsu Yanagi: The Thinking
>Sketch Project
>
>5:30 p.m. Break
>
>6:00 p.m. I s t v a n  F e k e t e: Systematization Modelling of
>Communication
>

>Saturday, July 5, 2003
>
>10:15 a.m. Welcoming remarks and review of the Day 1
>
>10:30 a.m. P e t e r  W e i b e l: Hierarchically Organized Systems in
>Theory and Practice
>
>11:30 a.m. T o h r u  M o r i y a m a: Misunderstanding Signals and
>Creation of Information in Communication

> [...]

Carpentier Nico (Phd)
Vrije Universiteit Brussel - Free University Brussels
Studies on Media, Information & Telecommunication (SMIT)
Centre for Media Sociology (CeMeSO)
Office: C0.05
W1: http://smit.vub.ac.be/
W2: http://homepages.vub.ac.be/~ncarpent/